Became re-acquainted with my Mastertouch today.

Phil M

TVWBB Member
Picked up a brisket joint at the supermarket and followed the instructions from "Weber's Complete
Barbecue Book".

Meat on the grill. One charcoal basket filled with Australian Heat-beads. After a bit of fiddling, temp
settled at around 125C. Smoke from Weber's "Whiskey Soaked Wood Chips" I got in an end of season deal:

DSC_0151.jpg

4 hours into the cook:

DSC_0001_1.jpg

4 hours later, the end result:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Linda contributed with an awesome Dauphinoise Potato:

DSC_0012.jpg

And plated:

DSC_0018.jpg

This is the first time I've cooked brisket and whilst not perfect, I'm really pleased with the result.

It was good to be adjusting vents again and controlling the heat. My Q is great but charcoal
is the daddy.

Thanks for looking.

Really great looking cook Phil. A stupid question since I don't know, the term "brisket joint". I am not familiar with the term, what does it mean. I am assuming that it is either the flat or the point but I don't know. TIA

Really great looking cook Phil. A stupid question since I don't know, the term "brisket joint". I am not familiar with the term, what does it mean. I am assuming that it is either the flat or the point but I don't know. TIA

To be honest Bob, I'm not really sure either. I do know that animals are butchered differently in the UK than US, so can only think the brisket is cut specifically for rolling into a slow-cook joint this side of the pond. With the rise in popularity of smoking and barbecuing here, there are butchers around who've familiarised themselves with the US cuts and are therefore able to supply whatever's requested (albeit at a premium). Having said that, mine was very tasty.

That's a typical British Sunday roast.....with a Texas twist. Looks spot on Phil, well done mate.

To be honest Bob, I'm not really sure either. I do know that animals are butchered differently in the UK than US, so can only think the brisket is cut specifically for rolling into a slow-cook joint this side of the pond. With the rise in popularity of smoking and barbecuing here, there are butchers around who've familiarised themselves with the US cuts and are therefore able to supply whatever's requested (albeit at a premium). Having said that, mine was very tasty.

Hi Phil, that looks amazing, out of interest which supermarket do you get your brisket from? Brisket is the only meat I haven't done low and slow yet, I know the big Tesco and Sainsbury's have brisket joints on thei butcher counter but never tried either so I'd be keen to get some pointers on where to get quality brisket in the UK.

Ta, Jules

Hi Phil, that looks amazing, out of interest which supermarket do you get your brisket from? Brisket is the only meat I haven't done low and slow yet, I know the big Tesco and Sainsbury's have brisket joints on thei butcher counter but never tried either so I'd be keen to get some pointers on where to get quality brisket in the UK.

Ta, Jules

Hi Jules,

that was from Morrisons. They only had 1kg joints in the fridge so I asked the butcher and he produced this one from the
cold room. It was 3.1kg and £6/kilo, so worked out just over £18 in total.

Back