beat up kettle .worth a restore?

Michael Smotch

TVWBB Fan
Hey I have a beat up kettle I came across. Basically its just the bowl and dome. no legs, no bottom vents, just the dome with the handle and the bowl with the grill and charcoal grates. Is it worth a restore? sorry no pics

Hey Dave - is the bowl in good shape? How old is it (check the code on the top vent and look it up)? Older is better IMO as long as it is in decent shape. Any holes or rust? If not you might consider grabbing that sucker and mounting it in a table. The vents are farily easy to replace and you would not need any legs if you mount it...

Regards,

John

bowl is and dome are good shape, other then that, there was rust where the legs attached to the bottom of the bowl, but no rust or pitting. not sure about year, will look tomorrow, the color is for the bowl black, and the cover is smokey grey color.

Michael, when you say smokey grey color, does it look like the kettle on the left? If so, the lid is just faded black which makes since, since the bowl is black. This is my faded A code and my E code.

20140828_165202.jpg

if you want a nostalgic but functional kettle, then you can grab another newer cheapo kettle on craigslist strickly for parts: legs, wheels, triangle, handles*
if you desire. You can get replacement vents online if the new vents arent compatible.

*if you want vintage wood handles they can be found too. ebay has generic cheap replacements, or check the weber kettle club website for some custom replacement options.

Back