BBQ Temp Regulator

Christian M

Hello all. I recently picked up a PitmasterIQ IQ110 BBQ Temperature Regulator (http://pitmasteriq.com/products/automatic-temperature-control/iq110.html) for my WSM 18.5" and am going to give it a whirl this weekend on a brisket. Having never used one of these regulators, I am looking for any pointers based on experiences any of you have had with either this unit, a Stoker, or other similar regulators. Any change in the amount of fuel I use? My thought is to probably use a bit less fuel so that the fan doesn't blow the temp out of control and ruin my rookie experience with the machine. Anything else I should know? Does the blasted thing work? Haha. Any info any of you have would be great.

Thanks,

Christian

When I got my PartyQ, I didn't change anything about the amount of fuel I used. Remember, the fan is only going to blow when and as much as it needs to in order to maintain the set temperature. The problem I've run into a few times is letting the temp get too high before turning it on. Nowadays, this is my usual procedure for a long/overnight cook:

1) Load up the charcoal ring with as much as will fit (I use the "tin can" minion method)
2) Light about 10 coals in an inverted chimney
3) Open all the vents up
4) When the 10 coals are fully lit, put 'em in the middle of the ring and spread smoke wood chunks around the top
5) Give it about 5 minutes before assembling the rest of the smoker
6) Get the temp up to about 220, then attach the ATC and turn it on, shutting down the other two lower intakes
7) Put the meat into the smoker and walk away

I'm fortunate enough to have a window that overlooks the patio, so I can easily check on things. Not sure how the IQ series works, but the PartyQ has a two-color LED (red/green) that blinks or changes colors according to it's status (e.g.: solid green means the fan's running constantly to get it to temp, blinking green means it's at the set temp and running normally, blinking red means it's 20 degrees or more over the target temp).

I have a party Q and do pretty much what Chad mentioned above. I light my WSM minion method style and wait for temps to creep below 50 degrees of my target temp. When it gets there I plug in the partyQ and shut down the other vents. The partyQ battery life is terrible and I don't want to waste batteries getting up to temp. I don't change anything in terms of type of fuel and how I light my fire.

Good luck!

The partyQ battery life is terrible and I don't want to waste batteries getting up to temp.

I thought so, too, until I started using good quality rechargeables. I had been using cheap alkalines and they wouldn't last a single cook. Then tried a set of Sanyo eneloops (which I use for my camera) and found that they'd usually last about 12-13 hours before starting to fade. Eneloops are still on the pricey side, but Amazon Basics "low discharge" use the same chemistry, are a bit cheaper (when buying in larger quantities), and I've found that they work just as well in my camera and just about everything else.

I am a photographer, also, and went to the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries several years ago. They hold a charge for YEARS (typical rechargeables can lose their power in as little as two weeks). The Eneloops will hold 80% after sitting a YEAR! After my good experience with my electronic flash with Eneloops, I now use them for everything!

I haven't tried Amazon's Basics "low discharge" but sounds like a good alternative.

FWIW
Dale53

I have the IQ 110, it does what it supposed to do, maintain consistent temps, I don't start running mine until I'm up to temp then I shut down bottom vents and attach the hose to the manifold and plug it in. I only use mine when I'm not going to be home for the whole cook because I find it easy enough to regulate consistent temps using the vents and monitoring the cook with a Maverick. I can't really say on fuel usage because I don't pay that much attention and I've never had to add fuel during a cook because I always load it up.

I have the Guru DX2 and I start mine as soon as I dump the coals into the chamber. I'm curious as to why others wait for the temp to reach near the target temp before start their ATC.

I have the Guru DX2 and I start mine as soon as I dump the coals into the chamber. I'm curious as to why others wait for the temp to reach near the target temp before start their ATC.
I wait because when I dump my coals I'm usually at 150-165 grate temp, with all vents open in 20 to 30 minutes I'm up to cook temp, it takes the IQ longer to get there. That being said I usually have to wait at least an hour from dumping hot coals for the fire to clean up before putting the meat in the WSM. I just think the sooner I get a hot fire the quicker it will clean up and I can start cooking.

Mainly to prevent the battery drain from the fan running constantly to get it up to temp. That's the down side of the partyq.

Back