BBQ Spots between NYC and Charleston, SC

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

Next week I'm driving from my place in NYC to visit my mom in Charleston, SC for a couple days and then returning. I have some extra time to make the trip there and back and want to make it a bit of BBQ Road trip.

Will you post any BBQ spots (restaurants, shacks, stands, carts, whatever) between NYC and Charleston, SC (including the general Charleston area)that I should try to pay a visit. I might not be able to hit them all, but I sure will try.

I suppose I will generally follow 95 South, so the less off of 95 the better BUT I will deviate as far as necessary if there is a place that you tell me I have to go to no matter what.

Please post as much of the following about each location when applicable or knowable: name, address, url (if they have a web presence of some sort), a Google Map link if you know it, hours of operation, and what meat or meats in particular I should try at that particular spot. If there is anything else I should know (like "they always run out of food by 2pm so get there early" or "say hi to Bob for me") please tell me!

The spots can be famous and touristy (if the food is good) or hidden and local where I need a code-word to order - as long as it is worth spending time and gas to get there let me know.

I will try to hit some spots on my way down, and others on my way back.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

this was in the local charleston paper last month..i haven't eaten at any of these so I'm no help there, but i hope this will help.

charleston post and courier

In Columbia,
I enjoy eating Hudson's. I'm sure there would be some who say it isn't awesome, but it's in lexington, sc on 378. Everything is hickory smoked.

Bryan,

I've been making this trip about once a year for the last 12 years as kiawah is our family end of summer spot. As you might imagine, I've researched this to death and here's what I suggest:
- Richmond va, most people claim there is no good bbq north of NC but they haven't tried buz and ned , easy off-on to 95

- goldsboro nc, Wilbur's bbq, considered one of the best bbq shrines in the country. This is about 45 minutes off of 95, a 1.5 hour detour in all, worth the trip

- holly hill, nc sweatman's bbq, some consider this the best in the country, ayce buffet, about a 20 minute detour off of 95 not far from charleston. Must try...I think only open on the weekends.

- kenly, nc moores bbq, I personally thought the fried chicken was better than the bbq. not looking to go back.

- wilson, nc, parkers bbq, I personally thought the fried chicken was better than the bbq. not looking to go back. (not a cut and paste error)

- ashland, va, smokey pig, bleh

- In charleston, we like the buffet at Bessinger's when they have ribs with mustard sauce. The burgers are good too. I dunno, there's a lot of great low country food in charleston you should try before bbq.

I've heard good things about d&h in manning.

Please report back if you find something else worth trying...btw, a lot of these places are closed on sundays.

First off, how great would that road trip be. I wish I had that kind of time. Second, I have a co-worker in North Carolina, he recently sent me some Sonny's BBQ sauce and based on their Sauce, I'd eat at their restaurant.

Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
First off, how great would that road trip be. I wish I had that kind of time. Second, I have a co-worker in North Carolina, he recently sent me some Sonny's BBQ sauce and based on their Sauce, I'd eat at their restaurant.

Just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have eaten at two different Sonny's and it is really not very good bbq. JMHO!

agreed on sunny's...
also not a big fan of anything the anyone in the bessinger family does...good sauce, but it's expensive to eat at their places...

Hmmm . . . sounds like I'd skip eating at Sonny's, but maybe pick-up a jug of their BBQ sauce. I've been very impressed with it and now have it in my rotation alternating with Sweet Baby Rays mixed with honey. I've used Sonny's on my ribs and chicken so far and it was a nice complement to the spicy rubs. I also understand it's available at Sams.

Grew up in NC, and just moved back from Richmond. For RIC I can say terrible BBQ with the exception of buzz and neds. as a bonus its right off 95 (you can see 95 from the parking lot)

Wilburs has gone down hill imo since it has changed owners

I love Parkers, they have great sauce but now cook over gas. Do your self a favor and hit Mitchells instead (it just down the road from Parkers). It doesn't look like much from the road but its worth it.

Also, was in Chucktown last year for a wedding. Ate ate Jim and Nicks BBQ on King st. It was pretty good for SC BBQ
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t wright:
agreed on sunny's...
also not a big fan of anything the anyone in the bessinger family does...good sauce, but it's expensive to eat at their places... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I've read that one of the brothers owns maurice's piggy park (could be wrong) and that the owner of maurice's has some hard to stomach political views.

By NY standards, the bessingers buffet in charleston is a ridiculous steal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Wilburs has gone down hill imo since it has changed owners

I love Parkers, they have great sauce but now cook over gas. Do your self a favor and hit Mitchells instead (it just down the road from Parkers). It doesn't look like much from the road but its worth it.

Also, was in Chucktown last year for a wedding. Ate ate Jim and Nicks BBQ on King st. It was pretty good for SC BBQ Smiler
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't realize wilbur's had changed hands...thats too bad. I know a lot of people love parkers but as you say, the bbq is cooked over gas and it shows.

you are right about maurice's piggy park...that's the guy...could have his sauce in grocery stores, but they won't stock it b/c of his outspoken beliefs..

ny standards...i know nothing about those...other than they are too much
i hope to visit one day though

Thanks for the replies - anyone else have suggestions of places that they have visited and really like? Anyone else?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">holly hill, sc sweatman's bbq </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to check in, I went to Buz and Ned's yesterday and went to Seatman's this morning at 11:30am on the dot. I am trying to go to J.B.'s Smokeshack right now, but I've been told the traffic might be too bad.

I'll report in what I thought of everything when I get back, but I wish this was my job - driving around and eating BBQ everywhere I can.

Instead of J.B.'s I went to Bessingers on Savannah Hwy. I had the buffet! On one plate I had spare ribs, pulled pork, whole fried catfish, fried chicken, grits, rice w/hash and not one veggie.

Not bad Sweatman's and Bessingers on the same day. Heh.

I'll hit J.B.'s tomorrow. Then I'll be taking a small break and having seafood for nice dinner with the family.

Bryan,

Well done! I didn't mention J.B.s because my view is that is good, but not memorable. Its closest to Kiawah so we go there every year.

The Bessinger's buffet was my first exposure to mustard sauce...I love it and we always bring home a bottle or two. My brother lives in the south and knows how to eat catfish off the bone...its quite a sight for a NYer.

Not far from JBs is the mustard seed...one of our favorites in the area, inexpensive for what's on the plate. If you visit kiawah resort, you should definitely try the Rosebank Cafe in the Bohicket marina. Good casual food...lunch is a steal.

How did you like Buz and sweatmans?

Yesterday, I went to the drive-thru at Melvin's then to J.B.'s smoke shack. It so wonderful how different everyone's BBQ can be and how different a spare rib can taste from place to place.

I will post when I get back what I thought of each place, but I'm really just enjoying the adventure.

I head back North tomorrow, and I was thinking of trying to detour through the Columbia/Lexington area to hit a spot or two and then I was even thinking of trying to detour to Wilbur's in Goldsboro, NC.

On Google, I find two verified listings for Wilber's in Goldsboro - one on US 70E and one on Eastgate Drive - which one should I try to go to if I can add the extra hours?

Bryan,

The one on 70E...in all, its about a 1.5 hour detour.

I can't recommend enough the Summerton Diner:
32 S Church St
Summerton, SC 29148

we were there on a sunday and had their fried chicken special...it was one of the best road meals we ever had...less than five minutes off of 95.

enjoy,
jd

I'm back in NYC. Yesterday I hit Wilber's in Goldsboro, Ralph's in Roanoke Rapids, and then Buz and Ned's for a rack of ribs (on the way down I had their brikset and pulled pork sandwiches).

I will write up a summary of all my places with a couple pics later today or tomorrow. All-in-all I hit 6 bbq spots (1 of them twice for 7 visits in total) in 5 days. (I also had some great seafood when I wasn't eating BBQ.)

Thanks to everyone, especially Jeff for the great recommendations.

Now I have to head in southwesterly direction for the next BBQ tour!

Bryan,

let me know when you head to the southwest...I stopped at kreutz and smittys on the same day and then took another trip to blacks and city market (leuling). I wrote a review and its somewhere or other...

Back