Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Anyone tried any of these and what are your thoughts:

Corky's BBQ Sauce
Neely's BBQ Sauce
Interstate BBQ Sauce
Rendezvous BBQ Sauce
Oklahoma Joes' BBQ Sauce

What type of sauce are they, sweet, vinegary, thick, etc. Thanks for your help.

These are all restaraunts in the KC, Memphis area that are always recommended by people when others ask on various BBQ Boards for good BBQ places to stop at while peole are traveling.

I found a web site earlier in the day that sells the sauces from these places and hoping some people here may have been to these places and tried it and could give some comments.

Always looking for good sauces.

Hi Bruce - I'm in Memphis, & have eaten at all of these restaurants several times but Oklahoma's...

Corky's - nice flavor w/a disticnt twang, though lately they are the mcDonalds of memphis bbq...the last three times i've been, it was awful (q that is)
Neely's - Pretty good, sweet & smokey
Interstate - Almost the same....they are owned by the same people if I recall (Jim Neely Family)
Rendezvous - like best after corky's, but haven't tried the hot version....

After you try the Corky's sauce, you could probably replicate it pretty easily...My wife concocted something similar last year...If you ever get to memphis, try Rendezvous before the others IMO....another is the BBQ shop on Madison...They are not well known outside memphis, but make a great product...

If you're going visiting, be sure to try Smokin' Guns in KC (Phil and Linda Hopkins). Absolutely outstanding, and it's now Chris Willingham's favorite spot. Their "Smokin' Guns Hot" rub is incredible on briskets.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

My wife is from Memphis and we had Corky's at our after wedding family gathering back in '91...the Q was great then (not so now) and the sauce was average...can't comment on it with any specifics...we prefer the sauces from The Commissary in Germantown (which is quietly a great Q spot) and, by far and away...Leonard's...whose pulled pork sandwich is the platinum standard by which we judge all others...and their sauce is more my cup of tea...not thick and it compliments pulled pork and mustard slaw better than anything else we've ever tasted...I honestly can't have a pulled pork sandwich without it...we have extra on hand here in Maryland for my own pulled pork...

Can't talk about the Rendevous or Interstate...I know they get a lot of press but, as Memphis natives, my wife's family steered me in other directions over the years...

In the early 80's Leonards was my evryday favorite. The rendevous seemed like a tourist trap. Ribs were ok, the thimble of slaw a joke and white bread was white bread....

As for sauce...make your own. It is better. Rubs too.

Just now getting back to this post - sorry, Bill. You know, it never occurred to me to ask them about sauce - I was always too worried about getting the SGH rub. I buy the 8-lb jugs, myself.

Keri C

Back