BBQ Pitmasters season 3 premiere

SteveA

TVWBB Super Fan
Did anyone catch the premiere of season 3? They made brisket & tri tip. I thought the premiere was Sunday; however, I awoke to find a new episode on my DVR! How 'bout that?!

I laughed out loud when I saw their reaction to being told they were doing tri tip. Of course, 2 of the teams made it all wrong IMO (low & slow instead of grilling), but the one team from Georgia that was familiar with cooking tri tip didn't do so hot either. FWIW, I don't think the judges knew too much about preparing and eating tri tip. The one team's turn-in whom they enjoyed the most looked way overcooked and sliced WITH the grain. Oh, well. Out here in California, we grill tri tip med. rare Santa Maria style religiously.

Anyway, the brisket portion of the cook was nothing new or special. They all knew what they were doing, and had their secret spices, injections, etc. Solomon Williams' Carolina Rib King team were primarily a pork BBQing team, but they manned up and ended up winning the cook off.

All in all, it was a pretty good show. Even though it shares the same format as season 2, it just seemed a bit more enjoyable. The discussions and banter between the judges was pretty good. It was interesting to see them talk about the difference between everyday eating BBQ and 1 bite competition BBQ.

If you have the time, I definitely recommend that you check it out.

Is it the same judges and host as last season?

I thought Art Smith and Myron were good, but didn't care for Warren Sapp or the host. The host seemed to say all the phrases in the exact same tone and facial expression each episode.

As in "The loser of this contest will be eliminated."

I dunno, the guy just seemed really fake to me.

Myron Mixon is still onboard, but they have a couple of new judges joining him. They are Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke BBQ & Aaron Franklin of Franklin BBQ.

Also, there is no host. All the judges take turns making the intros and instructing the teams. There is, however, an unseen narrator.

I especially liked how the entries were judged blindly. The best part was that the contestants had the opportunity to view the judges via closed-circuit as they tasted their entries (a little hold over from the final episode of season 1).

Thanks Steve. That sounds like an improvement over Season 2 in my book.

Like I said, didn't care for the host so I'm glad to hear he's gone.

I liked Tuffy alot in Season 1 so glad to hear he's a judge now.

Is Aaron Franklin the owner of Franklin BBQ near Austin, Texas? If so, I heard that is one of the best BBQ restaurants in the US.

Unfortunately I don't think I get the strange channel that this comes on so I'll be waiting until this is released on NetFlix.

That is the same Aaron Franklin. He's the restaurant everyday BBQ guy to the 2 competition guys in Myron & Tuffy.

It's on Destination America Channel. It used to be called Planet Green, but rebranded on Memorial Day.

I see you're from South Carolina like Solomon Williams. That's one for you guys after one episode. I wonder if there'll be any SoCal teams like Slap Yo Daddy this season.

Watched last night and it's much better than Season 2. They are actually cooking real stuff (no rattlesnake or alligator) and it's just like wathcing 1/2 of a KBCS competition. Last night was Pulled Pork and BB? ribs.

Myron is awesome as always, Tuffy is a great guy and Aaron is a welcome addition. Maybe Myron will pull out of him how he does brisket so well...

I thought it pretty cool that the ribs/pork guy came in and beat the other two at beef. That shows me he's a pretty solid all-around cook and not a one trick pony. Good for Solomon!

I like Aaron, too. I'm a younger guy like he is, kind of cool to see younger generations have a presence on the BBQ scene.

I'm new to BBQ Pitmasters, haven't really watched before. Injecting is something I'd like to try.

I watched both episodes and really enjoyed them. Looks like Snake River Farms has officially hooked up with the show as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they're providing the meats at no cost, but obviously enjoying all that free National publicity. I love their products, so good for them.

Originally posted by Steve Aguilar:
Did anyone catch the premiere of season 3? They made brisket & tri tip. I thought the premiere was Sunday; however, I awoke to find a new episode on my DVR! How 'bout that?!

I laughed out loud when I saw their reaction to being told they were doing tri tip. Of course, 2 of the teams made it all wrong IMO (low & slow instead of grilling), but the one team from Georgia that was familiar with cooking tri tip didn't do so hot either. FWIW, I don't think the judges knew too much about preparing and eating tri tip. The one team's turn-in whom they enjoyed the most looked way overcooked and sliced WITH the grain. Oh, well. Out here in California, we grill tri tip med. rare Santa Maria style religiously.

Anyway, the brisket portion of the cook was nothing new or special. They all knew what they were doing, and had their secret spices, injections, etc. Solomon Williams' Carolina Rib King team were primarily a pork BBQing team, but they manned up and ended up winning the cook off.

All in all, it was a pretty good show. Even though it shares the same format as season 2, it just seemed a bit more enjoyable. The discussions and banter between the judges was pretty good. It was interesting to see them talk about the difference between everyday eating BBQ and 1 bite competition BBQ.

If you have the time, I definitely recommend that you check it out.

I live here in Southern Cali and your'e absolutely right about the grilled tri-tip Santa Maria style. This is what we had over the past 2 weekends (grilled directly over red oak). But smokeed tri-tip with a sear to finish is also outstanding. Really can't go wrong either way. And yes medium rare either way!

The premiere was an improvement over Season 2. Similar, but without the snakes, gators, frogs, and sides. I like the format of season 1 much better.

Looking at it from the production side, it has to be a lot easier to just invite them to a set and film rather than try to film on location in the rain, wind, and night. Season 1 was better but Season 3 is much better than most cooking reality shows since it deals with Que!

I haven't watched any of season 3, but I know they did shoot on location at a competition near me back in April, Smoke on the Water in Thomaston GA. I believe it is airing June 10th.

I enjoyed Season 1, and fortunately I never saw Season 2 based on everything I heard about it.

Just watched the Brisket/Tri-tip challenge and I've got to say I enjoyed it. As a west coast guy it was fun watching two of those teams squirm over the tris. I was probably one of the harshest critics when season 2 came out and I'm happy to say I think they've brought back some of the elements of season 1, and improved with the blind tasting. Looking forward to the next episode.

I found this series a few days ago, and DVR'd the first couple of episodes of season 3. Yesterday I learned that Netflix has seasons 1 & 2, so I watched Season 1, episode 1 last night. It was cool seeing two of the judges from season 3 (Myron & Tuffy) as competitors in season 1, episode 1.

Watched it on DVR this evening. That was some good looking Wagyu packers they had. Interesting how one guy went with HH brisket. I guess tri tip threw them because it's not a routine comp catagory.

Thanks for the information- will have to check it out. Hard to find any good BBQ on TV.
guy

I had my DVR set and someone deleted it! No one is fessing up, but my wife and I ate steak and the kids had hot dogs... They thought I was kidding until we sat down for dinner. I think they got the hint to not mess with anything BBQ on the DVR from now on.

Just finished watching Ep. 3 on the DVR. Johnny Triggs' Smokin' Triggers beat Wicked Good BBQ to move on to the finale. Seemed (T)rigged to me. Or, that's the way the producers wanted to it to look like. Even Johnny himself thought he didn't do so well.

They made turkey and pork belly. Johnny initially thought the pork belly was beef ribs! I love how the unusual (or unusual in competition) meats really throw curve balls at these guys; very entertaining. Check it out if you have the time.

Back