Bavarian Grillfest

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone,

Still in Bavaria, and I finally got my hands on a grill! It seems that here, grilling is a seasonal sport, and my family thought that I was crazy because I wanted to stand outside in the cold and snow and grill. We went to the local butcher to get our meat. I have to say, before you die, you need to visit a German butcher shop. Heaven!!! So, whilst there, we ordered turkey steaks, pork steaks (from the shoulder), pork belly, bratwurst, and filet mignon. We also made some shrimp-kabobs.

Here it is, waiting for the grill
IMG_7814.jpg

Grill warming up
IMG_7817.jpg

The grill, with a beautiful Bavarian background
IMG_7819.jpg

The first load of meat is on
IMG_7822.jpg

Flipped
IMG_7828.jpg

My plate with potato salad and fresh tatziki
IMG_7829.jpg

PROST!

You've found the solution -- when on vacation, I always miss home cooking! You've managed to grill ON VACATION! Everything looks brilliant. My dad's dad was from Bavaria (his mom from the Saxony region). Have to get there some time... Thanks for the pics.
icon_smile.gif

Now that's an awesome meal! Great back drop too. My mother was born in Bavaria and we still have family there. I haven't been there for over 20 years. I think it's time to start making some plans.

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us Steven. It brings back memories of my service in Germany in the early sixties. Instead of living "on post" I chose to live "on the economy" and rented an apartment from a German couple. The apartment was directly across the street from a butcher shop. Whenever the butcher got a live steer or pig delivered, I would visit the next day after he slaughtered the meat. Got some wonderful deals. A few hundred meters away was a bakery wher I got fresh breads and desserts.

Thanks for bring back those fond memories.

Ray

Back