Barbacoa de Vaca Cabeza

Now that brings back child-hood memories growing up in the Back of the Yards Jim!
I haven't seen a cows head on a kitchen table since then, and I miss that along with the tongue, cause thatsa good stuff if done rite.
Great post on thinking out of the WSM box..:wsm:
I would save them thar head bones/jaw and make a stock.

Tim

Great looking so far Jim! But instead of "flippin burgers", I went with wings! ;) But, if that was put in front of me I would definitely give it a shot. I used to eat cow tongue growing up and it is tasty!

trimming all the meat/fat from the skull was quite painless... a sharp knife removed it with ease.
I cut it all off, tossed it all in a pan then went thru it piece by piece to reomve the unwanted.
here's a pan before closer inspection...

DSCN2943.JPG

actually could have cooked longer, i did put all the meat into the oven covered at 250ºF for another hour...
here's a pan after cleaning out the fat/gristle...
this also includes the meat from the tongue.

DSCN2944.JPG

and, it's time to grab a seat & eet!

DSCN2946.JPG

hmmmmm.... something is missing..... oh yeah!
H O T S A U C E ! !

DSCN2953.JPG

Well, that was fun! ok, maybe not trimming all the meat off the bones butt overall, it was a good experience...
I don't think I would cook the whole head again, I see the cheek meat is also available in stores...
Butt i certainly would make this dish again! It's as good as I expected.
I thank you all for visiting, if you'd like to try it, there are plenty of leftovers...
Have a Great weekend!

The longer you look at that last plated picture the less you think about the origins of the protein. Pretty tasty I bet. Seems like a lot of work for taco/fajita meat, though. Glad we have people like you on the forum, Jim. You crazy.

Jim are you going to hang the skull on the pig pavillion for good luck? Interesting cook to say the least...Happy Halloween!

Great looking tacos. And you have my endorsement for the skull adorning the Pigvillion idea! Can't wait to see that pic!

I haven't had tacos de cabeza in a long time...you sir are a true bbq pit master. Negra Modelo and tacos is great combo. Now I'm thinking of doing this project. The cow heads out here cost about 25 dollars..Jim now I'm craving some tacos thanks a lot. 😃😃😃😃😃

w0w! here they cost 10 bucks! Tony, i'll send you two! ;)

Wow 10 dollars... That's amazing. I do live in Southern California and its now proven that everything is expensive here even cow heads. Gas is still 4.39 here. Sorry lets get back to bbq.

3.19? I bet you guys don't have that summer blend gas and winter blend gas this California environmental liberals make the oil companies produce. I apologize. If it wasn't for those rough winters you guys have in Wisconsin I would transfer to the corporate office in Arcadia Wisconsin.

Back