Barbacoa de cabeza

Jim, barbacoa and lengua are always better when someone else makes it. Barbacoa is steamed, not BBQ'd but I guess you could try it. 1st time I had it in SA it was goat, which was pure heaven in a tortilla. Typically in Houston it's beef, just as good, super beefy. It's super fatty so I'd think twice about putting it over a fire, hate to see the Pigvillion in flames from an out of control grease fire. I tried making lengua, let's just say it's better when someone else makes it and leave it at that. :rolleyes:

JimH, please come over and make barbacoa and lengua for me:)
I realize original barbacoa is steamed, many recipes I've read either simmer and/or steam...
however, if you read this post> http://www.erench.com/RECIPES/BBQ/BEEF/BARBA/index.htm ... Eric did smoke his first attempt at it. And I hope to copy his guide.
Anyway, whether it's great or I flop, it doesn't really matter, it's only barbecue. ;)

Jim, I used to own a store and sold alot of Cabeza de Rez to the migrant workers who would make the Barbacoa. They would do it similar to a hawaiian luau. At night after a few cerveza's They would dig a hole, and place charcoal in a ring at the bottom. season it as you would any beef, wrap the head in banana leaves, put it in the hole with the charcoal and cover with dirt then more coals on the top. In the morning they would dig it up get some tortillas and a fork and go at it. They said the eyeballs were a delicacy however I preferred the cheek meat. Pretty good stuff

Back