1 pkg. (8 oz.) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1 large tomato, thickly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cook macaroni as package label directs; drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and the macaroni. Pour into a 1 1/2 qt. shallow casserole. Arrange tomato slices over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
4. Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown. Makes 4 to 6 servings

Source: ?

Note: In addition to the cheese sprinkled on the tomatoes, I also like to sprinkle some Panko or bread crumbs. And DH likes to go crazy using different types of cheese.

Yes, tomato adds something to this.

Mrs Dollar has been searching for Panko, with no luck. She doesn't understand why its not in the stores. She does a parmesan cheese and panko on mac and cheese.

Yes, tomato adds something to this.

Mrs Dollar has been searching for Panko, with no luck. She doesn't understand why its not in the stores. She does a parmesan cheese and panko on mac and cheese.
Hi Lynn,
DH came home the other day with Progresso Bread Crumbs and thought it was Panko. But, he said there was a lot of Panko on the shelves. Luckily we still had some Panko left for the mac and cheese. We are hooked on it, but I'm sure we will find some use for the plain bread crumbs. lol

Panko bread crumbs are drier and have more sharp edges than Western style breadcrumbs, as well as being made completely differently. They're good for when you want a built-in crunch.

I cook a cup of elbow macaroni and then add a package of room temperature Boursin cheese. Makes a really great Mac and cheese. Sometimes I add lobster when I want this as an entree.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 pkg. (8 oz.) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1 large tomato, thickly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cook macaroni as package label directs; drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and the macaroni. Pour into a 1 1/2 qt. shallow casserole. Arrange tomato slices over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
4. Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown. Makes 4 to 6 servings

Source: ?

Note: In addition to the cheese sprinkled on the tomatoes, I also like to sprinkle some Panko or bread crumbs. And DH likes to go crazy using different types of cheese.
Sounds good!
If you want to spice it up a bit, sub in a can of Rotel for the tomatoes. Mac & Cheese is my wife's department. She generally does a mixture of hard cheeses and often adds shrimp or pulled pork. A great comfort food to experiment with.

Sounds good!
If you want to spice it up a bit, sub in a can of Rotel for the tomatoes. Mac & Cheese is my wife's department. She generally does a mixture of hard cheeses and often adds shrimp or pulled pork. A great comfort food to experiment with.
Thanks Bob, do you want to get me in trouble, messing with DH and his cheese? lol

Back