Bacon cure questions

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I have done bacon based on this thread multiple times, and I enjoy it very much. Now, however, I'm wanting to try bacon with a different taste. I've read about pepper cures, but I don't know the actual ingredients/proportions in the cure. I have pink salt, and would like to use that as my curing agent.

I would like to find a cure that goes well with hickory wood. My mom has expressed interest in having me smoke some bacon with hickory wood as she likes Farmland's hickory smoked bacon and I want to accommodate her.

Here is the basic dry cure recipe. Mix this up and store it in a Ziploc in the cupboard. You will take from it what you need to cure with, the rest will wait on you till you cure more bellies in the future. I believe you said you had a gram scale. Mix together the following:

450 grams kosher salt
400 grams dextrose
75 grams pink salt

Mix well. Remember-- DON'T TASTE IT!

For a 3-5 lb piece of belly use 1/4 cup of the mix. Put it in a 2 gallon Ziploc and then add your other flavorings. For pepper/garlic bacon I would add a couple or three tablespoons of cracked pepper and 6-8 cloves of smashed garlic and or 1/8 c of dry thyme. Alternatively, the same peppercorn amount, several smashed bay leaves, a few crushed juniper berries, some sage. Or just go with crushed peppercorns. Put the belly in the bag and zip it closed. Shake very well to distribute the cure on all sides of the bacon. You will be able to feel it through the bag. Put it in the fridge. You want the fridge temp to be 37-39. Turn the bag over every day. Wait a week. It should feel firm at its thickest point.

Remove the belly from the cure and rinse very, very well in cold water. Dry it with paper towels. Trim off a tiny piece and fry it in a little plain oil. Taste it. If too salty you will want to soak your belly in cold water, in the fridge, for a couple hours, changing the water twice. If you do this dry the belly well again. If you wish, rub the belly with a generous amount of cracked pepper and/or other seasonings.

Mini-minion your cooker, add smokewood, and get the belly in there. Allow the temps to rise slowly to 150 then hold there as best you can for a while, then increase slowly to ~180-200. Remove the belly when the internal hits 150. If you have not skinned it do so now, if desired.

Thank you Kevin! I do have a gram scale. Would I be able to get dextrose at a store like Price Chopper? To my knowledge I have none here at the house, so will have to get some before I mix up the cure.

Thanks again, Kevin. That really helps me out, and I will likely try all of combos you listed. They all sound good.

I forgot to ask earlier, Kevin: should I allow the belly to sit in the fridge uncovered for a day after curing to form the pellicle per Charcuterie?

Put it on a rack over a sheetpan. If you've patted dry first it will not take a whole day but it's fine if it goes that long. You can, alternatively, place the pan on the counter and have a fan blowing on it. An hour or two and you're good.

Thanks Again Kev, I've been waiting to cure Bacon for awhile. I thouhgt that something may have changed along the way so I wait for this response. I never attempted it before so lest have at it, I'll do my best. BTW, is this better on a Rotiss? Thanks, Bill.

For bacon, I would say to not use a rotisserie, just place it straight on the grate. I've never used a rotisserie, but I don't think one would help much with bacon.

Back