Bacon Cook

Tim McCann

TVWBB Honor Circle
At what temp are you guys pulling your bacon off the smoker at? I was planning on pulling at 150* but man it doesn't look like much was done? I was thinking it was going to have a light golden color? Barely anything though at 130*?

Tim, wish I could help. Can't believe you haven't got a response after all the bacon cooks I've seen on here. I'd like to know myself.

145'ish (never over 150) is when i take mine off. Cooking temps is 185 for the first hour and 195 for remaining two, always seems to be done in three hours.

Usually looking something like this...

P1000796-1.jpg

My first belly will be done curing tomorrow... How do you guys typically set up your WSM to gently smoke the bacon? I'm thinking about 2 chimneys of unlit and maybe 10 lit... sound like I'm on the right track??

I'd use the snake method instead. Then you will achieve the desired low temperature for hours, without a steady rise into maybe a too high temperature too early.
If you're having problems with rising into the safe zone at then end, just use the stove in the kitchen. I'ts not cheating, I promise. Noone will ever know, and it does not change the final product in any way.
Overcooked bacon is not very nice.
For me, 2 chimneys unlit, and 10 lit sounds way too much, but on the other hand your vent settings might make it work.

Last edited:
Ahhh good call! I'm so used to using the minion method, I forget about the snake. There is a good chance for rain tonight but I might go ahead with the smoke as it may actually assist in keeping the temps down...

I pull at 152, although I can't recall why that exact number off the top if my head. You need to cook it enough that it slices easily, but not so much that any fat renders.

Back