Bacon 3 Ways + Whole Chicken on the 18.5"

Luke P

TVWBB All-Star
So I posted a week or so ago about my parent's 40th anniversary. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47215-Parent-s-40th-Wedding-Anniversary-Party My wife and I wanted to try some of the menu on the grill. We did asparagus, asparagus wrapped with prosciuto, and the great competition...Potatoes wrapped in bacon GRILLED, BAKED, and FRIED!
image_zps9f7143d1.jpg

image_zps070be939.jpg

image_zps98511b04.jpg

Got the grill set up as hot as I could for a whole chicken, so I used some foil to seperate the direct/indirect. Not sure how effective it was. I need some fire blocks.
image_zps2f0a7bfb.jpg

Got my new 48" tv mounted downstairs with a swivel mount so that I can watch it from right next to my grill ;) Unfortunately I was watching Ohio State get their butts kicked by a better prepared Michigan State team.
image_zps1b88284a.jpg

A more beautiful and satisfying view!
image_zpsd8ecfda3.jpg

Here's the finished results! Baked on the left. Fried on the right. Grilled with the asparagus. We both liked the baked the most. Fried was crispy, but sucked a little flavor out. Grilled was little more chewy. All still very good.
image_zps66e2a5bd.jpg

A plate for you!
image_zpsaaa365e8.jpg

Also did a whole chicken for some friends from church. My wife signs up for Meal Trains. They cook and deliver meals to families that just had a baby, someone lost a job, family tragedy. Helps out a lot, and I was happy that my grilling qualified to help out. We pulled the chicken and my wife made it into Chicken Divan. Casserole goes further for a family of 5.
Did chicken at around 450. First time this hot and fast, and I think it's how I'll do it from now on. Followed a post awhile ago recommending baking powder with rub for crispy skin. It was SPOT ON. Won't do chicken otherwise if crispy skin is the goal.
image_zps258fedf2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Luke, college football is funky sometimes but YOUR COOKING AIN'T!
Cool Stuff! Can I Have Some??!! ;)

Thanks for the comments, everyone! This was a fun cook, and I loved doing it as a family. My wife baked and fried while i grilled.

The chicken was processed about 1 week ago by myself and a buddy. He raises them, we split the cost of feed + labor and feed our families well. All-Natural free range. And so delicious!

Jim, I sent you a full plate in the mail. Dang US Postal service! They must have sniffed out the bacon ;-)

Back