Bachelor Steak

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Ok, bachelor night number two, and I had a buddy over for "Grill Your Own" (he brought pork chops). Beverages started a little early for a "school" night, so I didn't get much in the way of pics.... :)

Anyway, I was at CostCo the other day and picked up a package of tri-tip. When I got them home, I realized that they were VERY flat tri tips, and I wasn't sure if they would cook up well if cooked whole. So, I decided to steak them up so that I could match up sections from each Tri Tip that were similar in thickness, etc. I went searching for some ideas on what to do and decided on a Korean-style/Kalbi marinade for these guys. Picking from a few different sources, I came up with this:

Korean-Style/Kalbi Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup sake or rice wine
1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper

I dropped the tri-tip steaks into the bath for about a 24 hour soak. When I drained the marinade, I reserved about a cup and boiled it for 15 minutes so I could use it as a baste. Fired up the Genny Platinum, cooked hot/fast for about 5 minutes per side, with a couple flip/bastes in the process. This one turned out great! Had that great salty, slightly sweet flavor that I love in a good Kalbi, and was SUPER tender.

Plated up with some mushrooms sautéed with jalapeno, garlic, ginger and a bit of sesame oil:

1645713553660.jpeg

Yeah, that looks amazing. Only thing I'd add is some gochujang or Korean chili flakes (gochugaru) to the marinade. Also, as a balancer I'd make the kimchi style cucumbers that you get as an appetizer at Korean restaurants. It would be a nice light kick to balance the dish.

2 cucumbers, sliced and seeded
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Korean chili flakes (gochugaru)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoons salt

If we were neighbor's I'd be like Goober keeping Andy company while Aunt Bee is out of town. Another beautiful plate!

Back