AVR fuses ERROR

There is a ground plane wrapped around that pin pretty tight on the component side if the board, unfortunately that would be right under the IC socket, so hard to see or access... It SHOULD be isolated on the component side, no traces leading from it...

The trace from that pin is on the solder side, kinda looks like a Y coming from the pin. It goes ever and connect to ATMega pin 7 which is connected to 3.3V, it goes to a few other 3.3v points as well.... So if that was grounded you would have an issue...

The thing that confuses me is, if you lift that leg on the ATMega that wouldn't remove the short to ground if it were on the board?

EDIT
I see since I replied you say you have removed the ATMega socket from the board, and say it is working? Perhaps there was a solder bridge under the socket to the surrounding ground plane? (on the component side)

Here is a shot of both sides of the board from OSH Park, you can zoom the area and look at the traces as they should be and compare.....

HMv4.2.4Bottom.png

HMV4.2.4Top.png

Last edited:
The thing that confuses me is, if you lift that leg on the ATMega that wouldn't remove the short to ground if it were on the board?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have cut all traces leading to this pad. So in theory, it should be dead, with nothing going to it at all. But even with the traces cut out, it still shorts to ground. Lifting the pin allows me to feed 3.3V to the pin as it should receive. It appears the rest of the 3.3V paths are not shorted as I get my probe readings fine, etc. This is why I'm suspecting something wrong with the board itself.

like something mystical? LOL

A board is two layers of copper traces separated by an insulator wafer... If you look at the board you can see the traces. So you have the top surface to look at, and the bottom surface to look at to see what is connected to what...

Back