Availability of Tri-Tip?

Thomas B.

TVWBB Member
I've seen a lot on this and other forums about tri-tip, but I've never seen them available around me, as I usually shop grocery stores and at Costco. Is there another name this cut may go by, or is it a regional kinda thing?

Not one that is used much--bottom sirloin butt. Many Costcos carry them. Where are you in Maryland specifically?

TJ.... try a Trader Joes if you live near one.

Trader Joe's is the only place within a 30-45 minute drive of where I live that consistantly has Tri-tip.

Yes. Virtually all TJs carry them. In the Baltimore/D.C. area:

MARYLAND

Annapolis*
160 F Jennifer Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
Trading Hours: 9 am – 9 pm
Phone: 410-573-0505

Bethesda*
6831 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20815
Phone: 301-907-0982

Columbia*
6610 Marie Curie Dr. (Int. of 175 & 108)
Elkridge, MD 21075
Phone: 410-953-8139

Gaithersburg*
18270 Contour Rd.
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Phone: 301-947-5953

Pikesville*
1809 Reisterstown Road, Suite #121
Pikesville, MD 21208
Phone: 410-484-8373

Rockville*
12268-H Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: 301-468-6656

Silver Spring*
10741 Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20901
Phone: 301-681-1675

Towson*
1 E. Joppa Rd.
Towson, MD 21286
Phone: 410-296-9851

VIRGINIA

Alexandria
612 N. Saint Asaph Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: 703-548-0611

Bailey’s Crossroads
5847 Leesburg Pike
Bailey’s Crossroads, VA 22041
Phone: 703-379-5883

Centreville
14100 Lee Highway
Centreville, VA 20120
Phone: 703-815-0697

Fairfax
9464 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22031
Phone: 703-764-8550

Falls Church
7514 Leesburg Turnpike
Falls Church, VA 22043
Phone: 703-288-0566

Reston
11958 Killingsworth Ave.
Reston, VA 20194
Trading Hours: 9 am - 9 pm
Phone: 703-689-0865

Springfield
6394 Springfield Plaza
Springfield, VA 22150
Phone: 703-569-9301

* no beer/wine sales

Hell, I live only a few miles from the Elkridge store, I didn't know there was a Trader Joe's there... I'll check it out, thanks!

Prices have been in the $4.89-5.99/lb range depending on store location and source of meat (U.S. or Australia--both are good). They are individually cryo'd and will be in the fresh meat case. (They have plain and marinated.)

FYI: I also like their lamb loins and tenderloins (only anvailable at some TJs), coffee beans, Dijon, mayo (the yellow label mayo is fantastic--like homemade), evoo, juices (the 'Just Cranberry' is straight juice, no sugar, so is very tart-great for brines, marinades or sauces or sweeten for drinking), cheeses, almond, cashew and cashew/macadamia butter, cultured unsalted butter, Greek-style yogurt, boxed cereal, nuts and dried fruits--and flowers to bring home to the S.O. Don't miss the dark chocolate-covered dried cherries...
icon_smile.gif

The tri's here have been Australian and 5.49 a pound. They have the plain and two different marinated tri's.

I drink the Tarrazu and Breakfast Blend fairly regularly. They are 6-7$ for 13 oz which isnt bad and the beans are pretty decent. Once the farmers markets in the area open back up I will start going with local roasters, but for the time being I am totally fine with TJ coffee.

Also, if I can remember I will get the Trader Joe's/Giotto EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar. Very reasonable prices.

Last week in the store they had Cowboy Lump, so I will stick with the Nature-Glo/Royal Oak.

Enjoy the tri's! I cooked 8# of tri's on the kettle three weeks ago and they turned out awesome! Very tender and very juicy! I didn't reverse sear. Since I was using lump I was able to get the coals VERY hot . Seared a few minutes on each side, let the kettle come down to low 300's and finished until desired temp. I had 3 tri's so I had varying temps to satisfy the guests.

I used the leftovers for steak green onion omelettes. Don't forget the bottle of hot sauce and to add some of the rub into the egg mix. Talk about good!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T.J. Balcerak:
I've seen a lot on this and other forums about tri-tip, but I've never seen them available around me, as I usually shop grocery stores and at Costco. Is there another name this cut may go by, or is it a regional kinda thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Costco does carry them but the stores here in PA slice them instead of putting them out whole. So that throws you off when looking for them. I see something sliced I move on and that's how I missed seeing them. My Costco here in Lancaster will sell them to me whole, but I have to buy the Whole Cryo Vac pack of them. Last one was priced at $3.99lb ran $68.00 for the cryo pack.
icon_wink.gif

I always found the regional characteristics of food availablity interesting.

For example where I live in CA, Tri-Tip is very popular and as common as chicken in most places. It actually seems to be the more popular cut of beef done up at bbq's...at least in the circles I go in

However, trying to find a quality brisket is still proving to be a challenge. It seems quality brisket is not readily available in my area or maybe I just haven't found a good source yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Derum:
I always found the regional characteristics of food availablity interesting.

For example where I live in CA, Tri-Tip is very popular and as common as chicken in most places. It actually seems to be the more popular cut of beef done up at bbq's...at least in the circles I go in

However, trying to find a quality brisket is still proving to be a challenge. It seems quality brisket is not readily available in my area or maybe I just haven't found a good source yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree with you more!

Finding tri-tip here in Oregon is commonplace. Even the smallest of grocery stores seem to have them.

But I've been to a few of the bigger grocery chains with better quality meat departments and have yet to see a brisket out.

The "Smart and Final" in my area carries full briskets. There seems to be some of them relatively close to Windsor.

Back