Aurora Packing Company

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Question for you Illinois guys and girls.
So the last time I picked up cases of brisket and pork butt it said Aurora Packing. Well I work near there so I decided to give them a call. She said they have a sister company called New City in North aurora that they distribute their meat through.
So I call and talk with the guy and he tells me yes I can buy their meat. So I ask him the price per lb on pork butt and full packer briskets he tells me, $2.89/lb for pork and $3.29/lb for brisket.
Here is what I don't understand I bought the same meat last week from a butcher 50miles away from him for $1.29/lb for pork and $2.32/lb for briskets.
How can this be.
Thanks

I live in Aurora. I have not been impressed with the quality of anything from New City. ESPECIALLY the price. I found New City to be (as you discovered) very high priced. If you are willing to spend that kind of money on brisket I'd say go to Casey's in Naperville. They are the only butcher in the area that I know of that actually butchers.... Their meat is excellent but pricey.

But this sounds like a classic example of a wholesale company not wanting to undercut the price of their customers.

B

Rick - my advice is to just give up on Aurora/New City. I tried working with them a couple years ago and got nowhere. Aurora is a distributor serving some of the better restaurants in the Chicagoland area. Their beef is good, BUT they won't supply at the retail level. I used to be able to work with a meat guy at a local market to get briskets from Aurora, and only paid about $1.30 - 1.60 / lb. Going to New City the same briskets were about $5.00. Bryan probably hit it on the head. Also, don't get tempted by the ribs at New City. It only took me one time to pick up some there, cook 'em up, and basically had to throw them away. They were 'gamey' and shiner filled. I paid a premium for them too.

They do a good job of ignoring the individual, so I'd just do the same and ignore them. And like Bryan said, if your going to pay those prices, go to Casey's. One thing that bothers me about Casey's is that they were/are very unwilling to waiver on their price for brisket...its alway going to be $5.00+, whether you get it trimmed or ask for it in the cryo.

Shoot me an email if you'd like more of my story.

I've only bought brisket from Casey's 3 times, but each time the dude behind the counter went in back to the meat locker with a hacksaw. I was under the impression that all (most?) their beef there is actually from a side of beef not the typical cryopak stuff. I thought the guy told me that they dry age their beef in house. Then again, that was a few years back when I was learning how to cook a brisket. SO, 38 bucks for a piece of meat I was regularly turning into a meteorite was not good for the budget. I've had the most difficulty finding good brisket in our area. I have one source that stocks what I like, but it is a crap shoot if they have them or not. Any of you dudes know where a case of Swift flats can be bought? They seem to be about the best I can find. IBP is not too bad. Smithfield, forget about it.

BTW....I did buy a standing rib roast (prime rib...but really not "prime") from New City last year & cooked it on the WSM for July 4th. That WAS an awesome chunk of beef. Once again, paid about 12 bucks a pound. For a premium cut of beef it's worth paying extra. But for brisket, forget it. Just give me choice and I'll get her to cook up just fine.

B

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
$2.89/lb for pork and $3.29/lb for brisket.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's crazy pricing. I get my pork butts for $1.39/lb and brisket is usually $1.89/lb.

Wow I live just west of you guys in Shabbona and I buy my meat at Sullivans in DeKalb.. Every week they change up this week was Brisket $1.99 a lb.. Last week was Pork lions --then ribs- butts- every week it's something different for the Q'er..
Man you should of seen thier WHOLE Rib Eye..

Back