ATC with offset somokers

Christopher L

Is anyone using an Automatic Temperature Controller with an offset smoker? I have a Char Griller Trio and am thinking about trying an ATC but wanted to know if there were any success or disaster stories before sinking the $$$ into a quality system.

NOTE: Sorry if this has been covered before. I tried to search the forum, but for some reason offset seems to be a fairly common term on this part of the forum. :)

the key to ATC systems is the ability to control the airflow. most cheap offsets leak air big time. I supose it might help out a little bit but the chance of it being a nightmare is extremely high

I have a chargriller pro and I did a 18 hour cook on it last summer , 12 pound butt , 12 pound packer brisket , and six racks of ribs . That thing leaked liked the titanic lol . Didn't get a wink of sleep that night . Weird thing was I couldn't keep temps up ? Burned through a lot of charcoal that day ( had the charcoal pan inverted , also used a charcoal basket that was raised in the firebox ) . I imagine an ATC would've helped a lot , but you gotta make sure to seal that bad boy up before hand . Just bought a 22" WSM , I'll use the chargriller for primarily Grilling and really short smokes from now on .

Back