ATC and water pan?

Your talking the un-painted orange clay saucer and the 14" will be supported by the tabs?

Yes, but I added washers/spacers on the bolts between the smoker wall and lower brackets to push the support tabs closer together. The 14" saucer will then rest on the brackets without using any water pan. I double foil the saucer so there's a little added thickness but not much. You do still have to be careful not to knock things around too hard or it can fall off. That happened once but fortunately the saucer didn't break.

Nothing wrong with just putting it in the water pan. I just prefer the extra space between the bottom of the saucer and the coals. Whatever works for you.

Yes, but I added washers/spacers on the bolts between the smoker wall and lower brackets to push the support tabs closer together. The 14" saucer will then rest on the brackets without using any water pan. I double foil the saucer so there's a little added thickness but not much. You do still have to be careful not to knock things around too hard or it can fall off. That happened once but fortunately the saucer didn't break.

Nothing wrong with just putting it in the water pan. I just prefer the extra space between the bottom of the saucer and the coals. Whatever works for you.
I used this method yesterday on a 300* cook and went fine.

Back