At Sam's today

You know, I keep seeing this type of “use this and be a pro” advertising, HOOEY! Professionals are pros because they make their living from learning the specific times and techniques for their menus, not just some Bluetooth app driven thermometer! Before any of this wireless technology professionals were cooking by touch, time and eventually instant read thermometers.
The honest truth is that one must practice, and FAIL, to become a good home cook, there are no magic gizmos which will make you the next TV personality chef. It’s like photography, what is the difference between a successful pro and a snap shot photographer? The size of the wastebasket!

You know, I keep seeing this type of “use this and be a pro” advertising, HOOEY! Professionals are pros because they make their living from learning the specific times and techniques for their menus, not just some Bluetooth app driven thermometer! Before any of this wireless technology professionals were cooking by touch, time and eventually instant read thermometers.
The honest truth is that one must practice, and FAIL, to become a good home cook, there are no magic gizmos which will make you the next TV personality chef. It’s like photography, what is the difference between a successful pro and a snap shot photographer? The size of the wastebasket!
True, just not what I was looking for. I know I am not a "pro" and will never be. Don't wanna be. Just wondered if this was the "spike" others on the forums had talked about getting and liked. LOL. Only looking to make my life a little easier is all.
Yeah prior to all the cool super fast instant reads and stuff I was still using an old little round dial pocket thermo or the liquid bulb glass thermos. Did they work? You bet. Do I NOT want to go back to them? You bet I don't. I love the gadgets and all they do to make my cooking performance even better

Well, I have a “Meater” my wife got me for Christmas (2 years ago) opened but, still never used. I’m not saying they don’t have their place but, I’m not getting every one that comes along. I seem to get them as gifts and fill my “grill tools” bucket or “zone” in the garage. It’s growing to two buckets this year, I think.

Well, I have a “Meater” my wife got me for Christmas (2 years ago) opened but, still never used. I’m not saying they don’t have their place but, I’m not getting every one that comes along. I seem to get them as gifts and fill my “grill tools” bucket or “zone” in the garage. It’s growing to two buckets this year, I think.
I use every tool in my arsenal.

Yah, thats the one mentioned on here a lot. That is a good price. Nice to see they have products in the brick and mortar stores. I highly recommend it as well. I use it over my ThermoWorks Smoke. Just way easier to use and from my testing is very accurate as well.

There is a lot to be said about experience but in my personal journey there has been no single device that has transformed my BBQing as much as wireless digital thermometers. I went from opening the grill every 5 minutes and guessing to just monitoring the temps until it was where I wanted and perfect, confident, repeatable, results. If I were a Sam's member, at that price, I would probably pick that up even though I have a Meater Block.

I, too, have a Meater I’ve never used. I bought it specifically for rotisserie cooks but, alas, I haven’t done one of those since bought the Meater also about 2 years ago.

I had a spike, it was ok. Didn’t reach inside the house once you stuck it in a pork butt. I had high hopes because it reached everywhere when not in the meat. The instructions said it would lose range once in the meat and it sure did.

I’m not saying I don’t use a wireless remote thermometer, I most certainly do! What makes me tired is how so many of these tools want you to believe that their newest mousetrap will immediately make you a fantastic cook! Being a good cook takes time there is no shortcut or piece of equipment that will instantly turn a novice to top chef overnight!

There is a lot to be said about experience but in my personal journey there has been no single device that has transformed my BBQing as much as wireless digital thermometers. I went from opening the grill every 5 minutes and guessing to just monitoring the temps until it was where I wanted and perfect, confident, repeatable, results. If I were a Sam's member, at that price, I would probably pick that up even though I have a Meater Block.
Yah, we can go overboard on all the gadgets, but there are just some things that are game changers. The instant read thermometer was one. The wired remote thermometers (ThermoPro Smoke) was another and now the totally wireless remote thermometers are another. I worked in a higher end restaurant and the head cook could cook any steak to the desired doneness every time with out any thermometer. I don't know if he had a clock in his head or could tell just my pressing on them slightly (he did that with the meat fork every so often while they were cooking), but they always came out perfect. But, he cooked 50 steaks a night and had done so for 30 years. He cooks more steaks in a night than I do in six months so the tools allow me to do what he does without being an expert.

"I don't need no stinkin' thermometer" says the guy standing there with a $40 grilling apron on and $50 set of cooking utensils and a rack of 30 different seasonings.

Yah, thats the one mentioned on here a lot. That is a good price. Nice to see they have products in the brick and mortar stores. I highly recommend it as well. I use it over my ThermoWorks Smoke. Just way easier to use and from my testing is very accurate as well.
Good to know Bruce. Yeah, the ad stuff tends to be a little over the top. TBH, If I am cooking a steak for myself I never touch a thermo. Because I can tell by the look, smell and touch (plus knowing my grills), exactly where it is every time. Or if someone else likes their steak as I do (not ruined). My issue comes in with my wife and daughter's SO. Both like them "ruined". Now here, my issue is they're BOTH VERY critical of just "how ruined" they like them. :D And, in order to achieve that for them, I walk a tightrope of perfectly ruined to totally ruined. (they like perfectly ruined) which is right at 150-160 deg.
Once a steak goes above 135-140 the texture does not change to "feel" for temp. But, if I serve them a steak at 140-145 they want it cooked more. However if I take it above 155 to 160 they complain that it's "dry". I cannot "feel" see or smell the difference above 140ish. So I HAVE to rely on a thermomemeter.
But, if one of my fellow TVWBB carnivores were to sit down to a steak dinner with me, you would get a perfect steak every time whether you want it black and blue to med rare. Even to mid well. But, beyond that I rely on a thermo. Another time I rely on the thermo is like last night.
I had a giant 4# bone in cowboy ribeye on the Member's Mark, and 3 filet mignons (because the "ruined crowd" does not like ribeye). But, my daughter, grandson, the babies, and me like a med rare on the ribeye. So now the challenge is getting them ALL perfectly done at the same time, so they can all "rest" the appropriate amount of time. So, again, the long probe of the Smoke went in the ribeye and when the filets went on, the small needle probe I bought for it went in the smallest of the pieces. This way, I could run the grill on 220 with the ribeye alone, and know that as soon as I saw about 100 internal, the filets could be prepped and placed. This gives the ribeye a nice bark, and allows me to watch the filets. They reach 120 then about the same time as the ribeye. Now MM can be set up to roast everything at 350. (ribeye staying on top rack filets stayin on bottom). At the 350 the ribeye got my perfect 125-130 and pull for it's "nap", meanwhile the filets stay on and then go for their "nap" soon after. Allowing me to put everything on the table at one time, all perfectly done and rested to perfection.
THIS is why (well in addition to any other L&S Q I do), I need good thermometers with remote readouts. And these things are all challenging to perform which is why I am always looking at tools to make my life a little easier :D

Or if someone else likes their steak as I do (not ruined). My issue comes in with my wife and daughter's SO. Both like them "ruined". Now here, my issue is they're BOTH VERY critical of just "how ruined" they like them. :D And, in order to achieve that for them, I walk a tightrope of perfectly ruined to totally ruined. (they like perfectly ruined)
So funny. My sister-in-law likes a good steak "NOT ruined" but her husband purposely "ruins" them every time unless someone "helps" him grill during a family gathering. He is not a grilling enthusiast and doesn't claim to be one. Now she only asks him to cook chicken wings which he does nicely. She won't even buy a good steak if she knows he is grilling alone. She secretly waits for when my other brother-in-law or I grill a good steak that is "not ruined". She actually tells us this. We giggle every time.

Lot of ways to keep a smoke on the good side, but knowing where its at is priceless, and unless you can genetically clone a piece of meat, brisket, pork butt comes to mind, none of the them cook the same! I have found any pro cook has always said you gotta know the IT and time don't mean Chit, but the more you disturb and cook the more your screwing up the cook.

I find that any meat thermometer is important, wireless just makes life easier, not many I know My age anyways, care to make it harder justto say I don't need it. I'll use it cause I'm all in fer making my life easier at this point! If I was a rotisserie chef, Id find this type of thermometer priceless! My bet is any true pro is using one for that type of cooking, as well as other types, for the same reason, they like life being easier, and been around it long enough to know these needle do exactly that.

So on my foray into Sam's today I saw this and wondering if it's A, a "deal" and B, if this is the one many folks are recommending here?

View attachment 82959
might check out there website if your really interested in the convenience of bluetooth. Dual set, and 500 feet instead of 350, plus the ability to monitor cook box temp as well as IT on both pens. and right now with discounts from their site, less than two of these. much better charger, station, and only $81.99 https://buythermopro.com/twin-tempspike/

here is a review explaining the base and both pens in use. Very handy!

Last edited:
might check out there website if your really interested in the convenience of bluetooth. Dual set, and 500 feet instead of 350, plus the ability to monitor cook box temp as well as IT. and right now with discounts from their site, less than two of these. much better charger, station, and only $81.99 https://buythermopro.com/twin-tempspike/
So I checked it out. On the web they give a price 81.99 when you click on shop now, it takes you to Amazon with a much higher price. Weird

the price will correct when you put it in your cart and then go to checkout, it did the same to me, but you'll go thru a couple discounts, 18 buck and I think 31.99. I'm weak, or lazy, but mines on the way.

here is a better video showing how simple to load the app, us the booster they come in. pretty easy, important to me. No I wont give you a better product, but it sure will let you do everything a heck of a lot easier!

Back