Asking To Much...

Rob Stroud

TVWBB Member
Would two 8-9 lb bone in pork butts be to much meat to smoke on the performer at one time? This would be a hot and fast style.

Yrs ago I did two 8's on my kettle before I bought the WSM...
did l&s, turned out wonderful!

You could do both at once on a Performer. I like to cook them low and slow using the snake method.
In what part of Louisiana do you live?

I'm just worried about time with the low and slow method.

And Baton Rouge.

You'll need about 8-9 hrs to hit 190 internal temp with 2-9 pounders. And that's at an elevated temp (275-300). VERY easy on the Performer as I've gotten 12 hrs plus with no reload of coals. I recommend banking 5-6 lbs of unlit charcoal on one end (behind a dam of firebricks or regular bricks - well dried). Then light 12-14 coals, throw then on one end and let them burn through to the other. Barely open the vent at the bottom, keep the top at 80%. Put a drip pan under the butts, and walk away.

PitmasterX states in a related video he made, that a setup very similar to what I use is his preferred method. He even recommends it to a user who's had trouble with the snake (and refers to it as a "more stable way").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUUrc9rLmI

I don't think either way (snake or banked) is necessarily better than the other - they'll each have their advantages and disadvantages. I've never tried the snake method, and banking coals - with firebricks as a heat shield - has worked extraordinary for me over the years.

If you're in Baton Rouge, do you ever go to Sonny's Real Pit BBQ?
For Chinese food, I like Central Buffet in Central.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this for the first l&s cook, but now that I've gotten the feel of how my Performer, well, performs, I cook pulled pork overnight. I start it late in the evening and go to bed after the temperature stabilizes. If I get up to pee in the middle of the night I will check on the temperature but usually don't have to adjust the vents at all. That baby runs like a Swiss watch.
I can then wrap up the meat and keep it in an ice chest to keep it warm until the glorious lunch time.

I learned all of this stuff on this site, I didn't even know that my Performer could make pulled pork until I read it here.

PitmasterX states in a related video he made, that a setup very similar to what I use is his preferred method. He even recommends it to a user who's had trouble with the snake (and refers to it as a "more stable way").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUUrc9rLmI

I don't think either way (snake or banked) is necessarily better than the other - they'll each have their advantages and disadvantages. I've never tried the snake method, and banking coals - with firebricks as a heat shield - has worked extraordinary for me over the years.

It's all good. More than one way to skin a cat :)

If you're in Baton Rouge, do you ever go to Sonny's Real Pit BBQ?
For Chinese food, I like Central Buffet in Central.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this for the first l&s cook, but now that I've gotten the feel of how my Performer, well, performs, I cook pulled pork overnight. I start it late in the evening and go to bed after the temperature stabilizes. If I get up to pee in the middle of the night I will check on the temperature but usually don't have to adjust the vents at all. That baby runs like a Swiss watch.
I can then wrap up the meat and keep it in an ice chest to keep it warm until the glorious lunch time.

I learned all of this stuff on this site, I didn't even know that my Performer could make pulled pork until I read it here.

I grew up on Sonny's BBQ!

I trying to catch on to what's going on here and try to soak it all in. I'm excited to try out both PB so my whole family can enjoy it for the LSU game against KY next week.

Back