Asian themed grill: Thai Beef Salad, corn, asparagus

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
A lovely day in sunny West Milford, NJ. Time for Asian-themed grilling: Thai beef salad, corn with miso/ancho butter, and asparagus with black sesame seed dressing.
photo2_zpse09dcd03.jpg

Grilled up the corn and gus.
photo1_zps222a5ace.jpg

And the 3/4 lb strip steak. I had salted it 20 minutes earler, then dried if off and rubbed with a little olive oil before hitting the grill. Pulled off at medium-rare.
photo4_zpsf527b6b1.jpg

While the steak rested, I made up the dressing for the asparagus. 3 Tbsp black sesame seeds roasted in a pan, then ground with 1/2 Tbsp soy, pinch of salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp sesame oil.
photo3_2_zps42cea214.jpg

I keep a mix of compound butter in my fridge during the spring and summer, just for corn: Ancho/miso butter. Mix together 5-6 Tbsp Japanese miso (red or white), 3 Tbsp ground ancho chili, 8 Tbsp (1 stick) room temp butter. Keeps forever in the fridge -- use as needed on grilled corn and other grilled veg. The ancho is mild, but has a nice, warm flavor. The grilled corn was cut off the cobs and tossed with a couple Tbsp of the compound butter.
photo4_2_zps0547a915.jpg

The dressing for the Thai Beef salad: 3 Tbsp fish sauce (Thai: nam pla. Vietnamese: nuoc mam), 1 Tbsp sugar, 4 Tbsp lime juice, chopped bird's eye chilies (or what you have on hand), and/or sambal chili sauce to taste, one sliced shallot or three scallions. Toss the sliced beef with the dressing and chill.
Before serving, add 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint. Serve the beef over a simple green salad. Individual serving can be served over chilled rice noodles, optional.
photo2_2_zpsbfe25e32.jpg

photo4_3_zpsbaa77e39.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. The dinner was light and tasty -- just the thing for a spring evening.

Here's a pic of the nuoc mam I use currently. Use the brand you like. Smells a bit stinky, but adds punch of flavor. Careful: very salty, so don't use too much at a time.
photo_zps38b406a0.jpg

Last edited:
Beautifully colored, light and tasty looking meal Gary. I do not mind a bit stinky fish sauce, after heating will change for the better. Unique taste, it must be there!;)

Gary, as much as you like Asian food, and as well as you prepare it, I'm sure you were Asian in a former life! :p
Beautiful cooking!

your sesame and ancho/miso/butter both sound great. How was the corn? I recently bought some and was put off by how intensely sweet it was. I was wondering if that's standard for the corn that's trucked up north.

and is "flying lion" the brand that was mention in that article we read a ways back? I can't seem to relocate it and and couldn't remember the brand

I remember you mentioning your corn was incredibly sweet couple weeks back. With that in mind yes the corn was very sweet. I think flying lion was mentioned as a good brand if fish sauce but I think the top vote was for red boat. Good to see you here on the forum. And thanks to everyone else as well for all the kind comments. :)

I've always been a fan of Thai beef salad, and your looks excellent, Gary. Just that perfect balance of sweet, spicy, salty, and sour.

The grounds like amazing. I thought you were set up behind the 12 green at Augusta. The salad looks fresh, healthful and delicious - Great post.

Back