Are we all doing it wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Those recipes were obviously created for folks that don't have a true BBQ pit, or advanced temp control skills on a grill.
For the "average Joe" temps on a grill will be higher than we would achieve on a pit, thus the shortened time in smoke and the foiled finish in the oven.

Just my $.02. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto for me. I rely on Cooks Illustrated for great recipes and equipment reviews, but they're not into traditional pit barbecue the way the folks on this board are. Their audience isn't either, and they know that. If you want to learn about real barbecue, hang around this forum.

I have learned more in a few months of reading here than years of goofing off in the back yard doing what is spread commercially and by the general public.

I have been a CI subscriber for several years, but am close to cancelling my subscription.

Firstly, after a few eyars I noted that recipes are often repeated, as if they have 3-4 years of material, but then have to repeat recipes to keep things going.

If recipes are not repeated almost the same as previously published, they are re-invented as a quick version... doesn't really count as a new recipe for me.

And I've learned that they know little about barbecue... at least for the person who is into it enough to seek out recipes/techniques/tips on a forum like this. I'm no master at this, but I often find myself shaking my head at alot of their bbq recipes/tips/techniques. Their target demographic is a person who is interested in a bbq-like product, without investing much time, or getting their hands too dirty.

My $0.02

Back