Are temp control systems worth it?

Looking for Some Freedom: Digi-Q

Enjoyed reading everyone’s comments about the worthiness of ATCs.I’m new to the 22” Bullet but not new to Weber. Taking from another poster, I pimped my bullet immediately with wheels, handles and ports. Also picked up the new Maverick 732 and added a wood-mounted magnetic 732 mount to the Webber barrel.

In just a short time, I’ve done ribs, pork shoulders and chicken twice, but what really kicked my *** over the long weekend was a couple briskets with 4 racks of ribs. Ribs are simple, 6 to 7 hours, had them for dinner even though I was really looking forward to brisket sandwiches. The brisket turned out fantastic, but it was a lot of work.

Started my Sunday at 4am to stoke the fire, had the brisket on by 5am. Cooked everything under 220, averaging 214. One brisket was 7lbs and the other was 6lbs. I did not hit a meat temp of 190 till 11:00pm, total of 18-hours. The brisket cooked 6-hours, foiled 4-hours then spent the rest of time coming up to temperature un-foiled. Hey, it’s what the recipe called for. I’ll be looking for an easier recipe next time, but this was my first brisket and I wanted it to turn out good, which it did.

An hour of heavy rain dropped the pit temp to 174 for about an hour and half, but the meat only dropped a degree or too. I was exhausted Sunday night. I did learn I can go 20-hours plus without reloading.

Anyway, just purchased a DigiQ DX, should be here by Friday. After being tied down for 18-hours with my brisket, I decided I’d like to have a little freedom during long cooks.

Forgot to mention the mosquitoes were out with a vengeance in SWFL. Something about a WSM seems to attract them even more. I’m sure the DigiQ DX is going to save me a couple qts of blood, because I won’t be toying with my vents every couple of hours.

I use a DIgiQ 2 DX temp controller, and frankly, I"m so stupid about cooking I'm not sure what would happen if I didn't have a temp conroller. I rely on it TOTALLY. IT sure has provided me some great meat over the past few months, and I would NOT attempt to cook without one. I don't have that much experience in cooking. My DigiQ has served me well.

Good luck.

I'm from Toronto (area) and use a Guru with my WSM. Quite possibly one of the best things I've ever purchased. I get a good night's sleep because it's 100% consistent and reliable. I've used it all year round!

Worth it? I have a stoker and love it. I have been able to cook overnight and bring some pretty good Q to work for lunch and still get a good nights sleep. I happen to enjoy the "gear" part of hobbies too.
Now that Stoker has announced (and now delayed) the launch of the WiFi stoker, I am trying to decide if I want to upgrade.....and the answer is YES!
I enjoy the shopping and researching of gear for cooking as much as the actual food......

Temp Control for WSM

Hey there,

I notice a lot of people on this forum and others will say that the temp control systems don't really help them control temp that well as compared to not using it. Others say it works ok, but it's not a miracle maker or anything. Others say it works very well.

What I CAN say, is I live in Canada. Days can be very hot, with nights getting very cold in the spring and fall especially.

Any help appreciated.

I have a DigiQ DXII and I love it. I use it on my WSM and my Performer. It holds temps dead nuts. No need to use water, unless you want too. I've had mine for 3 plus years and it has performed flawlessly.

CraigW

I use the DXII and love it. The stoker is is also excellent but was just more technology than my needs required. You most certainly can make outstanding bbq without an ATC but it has simplified the process for me.

Hey there,
Others say it works ok, but it's not a miracle maker or anything. Others say it works very well. .

I would say it is worth it, not because it works miracles but it lets me do other things.

My first brisket with a new grill was a midnight start, which was fine. But then a thunderstorm blew in from out of nowhere and the wind really upped the fire and my alarm went off, so off I go at 2am to mess with temps. Then around 4am it dissipated, calm again, so off I go to mess with temps. At that point I decided something had to change, I like sleep, and to be able to run errands on Sat mornings.

Do you have to have one? Of course not, but technically I don't even need a grill, for a long time man did just fine digging a hole in the dirt. I'll take the assistance.

Back