Are Pare Ribs Fatty After Cooking?

KenB

TVWBB Fan
Are Spare Ribs Fatty After Cooking?

I cooked a rack of SL Ribs today and after cooking there was still a layer of fat on top of the rib meat but it was underneath the bark. Is this normal? This also happened the last time I cooked spares. I cut more fat off during prep than usual but it's almost like the fat is under the outer layer of meat. To be honest, if this is how spares are supposed to be, I'm going back to loinback ribs. Should I have cooked longer? The meat definitely was tender enough. I cooked at 275. Maybe a lower temperature for a longer time will render more fat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The sure fire method to know if they're done is to tooth pick them. Start tooth picking them early on, that way you know the difference. Basically, when the tooth pick goes in with little to no effort, they're done

Chuck, I always toothpick my ribs and the meat did not have any resistance . Next time I'll cook longer as a test. Could just be poor quality supermarket ribs. Maybe I'll try the Costco ribs next.

I agree with Chuck. It sounds as though you did everything you could. Sometimes you just get some ribs that are so so, but it sounds as though you made the best of it and still made a pretty darn good rack of ribs.

The meat I could eat tasted good but I was pulling clumps of fat out of each bite. Ill try again next week. Going to a do a butt Monday. Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like some fatty ribs, I just cleaned four racks for tomorrow and I trimmed some fat, but still had some good meat on them. I have never had any spares that I cut into St Louis style that had a lot of fat on them.

Question: did you select your ribs based on price or did you check all of the meat before making your decision? I've found that when I grab and go, the results are less than perfect. Just asking.

Back