Are furniture wood scraps safe for smoking?

D Brewer

Hi,

I am smoking a brisket this weekend and I want to use oak wood chunks. Not having any, I asked my neighbor, who happens to be a cabinet maker, if he had any scraps of oak wood that I could use to add to my smoker. He gave me six pieces of oak scraps measuring about 3"x1/2".

I got to thinking later on that this wood might not be safe to use as smoke. Do you agree? If it is safe, how much should I add to the smoker. The wood does not have any chemicals/stains added to it.

I did not have much luck finding a cheap place for wood chunks on the net (shipping costs kill you). Has anyone found a site that has reasonable prices for oak to ship to Cincy?

Thanks.
Dave

Some cabinet makers use a silicon spray to lubricate the work surfaces so the wood will slide more easily. Although I'm sure the amount collected on the wood would be minimal and the wood safe to use I would ask the cabinet maker if he uses silicon on his machines.

Hello D,
Just because you aren't positive where it came from, I'd hesitate to use it.
I get my oak after a bad storm. I just take my trusty saw, find a tree that's blown down or lost some limbs, and ask the homeowner if they mind if I take some of it. I've never been refused.
You may also find it bagged at Walmart or Kroger.

Some kilns add a chemical spray or dip to the wood.
Have you checked any local Tree Trimming, or firewood places?

Tim

I'm betting it will be fine if it is just kiln dried lumber scraps. The problem is that the moisture content is low and it will burn up fairly fast and not give you any smoke flavor.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Hughes:
Some cabinet makers use a silicon spray to lubricate the work surfaces so the wood will slide more easily. Although I'm sure the amount collected on the wood would be minimal and the wood safe to use I would ask the cabinet maker if he uses silicon on his machines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silicon is generally regarded as evil among woodworkers. It will absorb into the wood and prevent your finish from adhearing properly. Wax is frequently recommended to protect machinery from rust, it isn't absorbed and any small amounts that stick to the wood are removed when sanding.

Paul is probably right about the moisture content being very low.

Back