Apple juice substitute?

CTobin

Hello everyone, So I see that a lot of recipes call for apple juice either in the recipe or as a spray but i have a little problem. My wife is allergic to apples so I can't really use apple juice. Can I substitute it for any other juices? I tried one recipe with pineapple juice and it came out good but figured i'd ask your opinions.

Most apple juice spritz of mops are for moisture and sweetness :

Pineapple juice will do both. White grape as mentioned above works too.

Vinegar or water will help with moisture but not with sweetness. You can add Agave nectar to either liquid for sweetness.

There are even folks that use the sweetest moisture there is: Coca Cola!

Research some of these alternatives and see what seems like it will lend itself to your recipes.

Most any fruit juice will work to add sweetness and bark. Mt experience has been that it adds little flavor epically when combined with rub and smoke.

We were camping a couple years ago and someone drank the little bottle of apple I had in the cooler for the CSRs. I used prune juice and the pork was delicious. So little is needed, there were no ill effects.

I have used pineapple juice and Coke in the past, but never tried apple juice and don't really feel like I have missed anything
flavor wise. In BBQ maybe there are no must do absolutes, just many different ways to get to the end results that we want.

I have used pineapple juice and Coke in the past, but never tried apple juice and don't really feel like I have missed anything
flavor wise. In BBQ maybe there are no must do absolutes, just many different ways to get to the end results that we want.
+1 on what bob said.

You can try Pear juice, Snapple Apple uses A mix of Apple and Pear now. A few years ago I noticed the label only listed Pear but the stuff tasted like you were biting into a fresh Apple.

For a spritz I really like frozen apple juice concentrate, but any fruit concentrate works IMO.

Tim

Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ just uses water. I've used a 50/50 mix of water and Worcestershire sauce on brisket.

I've used pineapple juice and water (50/50) for pork butt with excellent results...both as a spray and to mix with pork drippings.

it's all research, remember? pineapple juice, white grape, prune, etc., just try something your wife is not allergic to; plenty of alternatives.
and please post the results!

I've used pomegranate juice in foil with ribs. People loved it. I also use bourbon sometimes as well.

I also use bourbon sometimes as well.
any alcohol works well, folks may be leery using it thinking the alcohol will effect the taste of the meat...
not so, in my opinion...
brandies, whiskeys, bourbons and rhums with all their ingredients can only add flavour to the pork.

any alcohol works well, folks may be leery using it thinking the alcohol will effect the taste of the meat...
not so, in my opinion...
brandies, whiskeys, bourbons and rhums with all their ingredients can only add flavour to the pork.

Sometimes I even put some in the food.

Back