Anyone used a jaccard before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
It's a meat tenderizer---48 dangerously sharp stainless steel saber blades set in 3 rows of 16. You basically puncture the meat all over the place. Supposedly speeds cooking time 40% and speeds marination.

I'm trying it tonight on a london broil on the grill to see if it really does tenderize the thing.

You can read about it here

They are quite nice. When I cooked in a steak house, I used them extensively on steaks and chops. The puncture will give your rub/marinade a way into the center of the meat. Very nice, but sometimes a bit pricey.

Anyone ever try one on a brisket? Sounds like it could be helpful in a comp setting.
icon_wink.gif

Rob
There are teams using jaccards on brisket and I know some of those teams have done very well with judges. Most are only using the jaccard on the flats.
Jim

Careful pricing them. I went to Yahoo shopping to look and almost ordered one for $19.99 when I noticed that it was only the 1 row of 18 blades, not the "super" one with 48. There was one merchant that had it for $24.99, but the shipping balanced that out with the JCP one. Looks like a nice tool.
Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I noticed that too when i was shopping for them. My JCP one arrived in less than a week, I think. I've been itching to try it ever since it got here the other day, and just finished Jaccarding a london broil. Got the thing marinating in Raichlen's london broil marinade from HTG---soy sauce, oil, red wine, black pepper, fresh parsley, garlic, fresh ginger, and red onion. And I threw in some hot peppers and jalapenos from my garden, hee hee hee. It'll only have a few hours in the marinade (I thought about vacuum sealing it cuz supposedly that can speed marination---anyone ever tried it?) but the jaccard itself is supposed to reduce marinating time, so I decided to see how it does without extra intervention.

I'll be grilling it a bit later and serving it up with hot chinese mustard on the side, plus asparagus and mebbe some rice but I've really got a hankering for some oven roasted red potatoes with rosemary and olive oil.

I'm coming to your place for dinner. It shouldn't take me long to get to N. Va. from Lancaster. The red potatoes are great, but no need for the asparagus lol.

I got the really skinny spears. They should be just fine. Can't decide if I should grill 'em or steam 'em in an old percolater as usual.

Suz, throw them in a saute pan with a drizzle of EVOO and a little bit of butter. Add garlic and a little salt. Because they are skinny, they will cook through quickly.

Susan,
Let us know how the London broil turns out! I'm interested to hear if the jaccard makes a difference.

Thanks
Nick P.

The London broil was great! I do believe it cooked faster (4 mins per side), and I really do think it was more tender than normal. I'll definitely continue to use it and see what to make of it, but so far, I give it a thumbs up.

The first time I saw one used in competition was at Tryon two years ago. Saw about 5 teams with them. Our neighbor showed me how he used it before putting the flat into a marinade that looked and smelled like mojo.

His results, he came in about 80 out of 95 teams. I think he overcooked it as I thought it was a bit dry.

I've tried it a couple times, not sure if it makes a difference and unsure if I like puncturing the meat like that.

But, as Jim says, some teams use them with great success.

For those in areas with Academy Sports stores, the Jaccard© brand tenderizers are available for $10 for the 16-blade, and $20 for the 48-blade-- got one today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back