Anyone use a La Caja China (China box) pig roaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Ok, I'm no fan of Bobby Flay, and now I hate him MORE for doing a show that had this cool contraption these nice Cubans in Miami came up with to roast their pigs (based on something they'd seen long ago). You can do a whole 80 lb pig in 3 hours 40 minutes! And it looked SENSATIONAL. Butterflied pig goes into this wooden box with a sheet metal interior on a rack, and there are things down there to catch the grease and juice. Put the lid on, and pile the lit charcoal on top. Add more lit coals every hour (fellow pyros, take note---you can actually use lighter fluid in this cuz the charcoal is OUTSIDE of and ABOVE the food!), and don't you dare peek until 3 hours. Then, flip the pig over, cut long slits in its soft skin, and cook it for nearly another hour until the skin is crisp and crackly perfect. Man, that thing looked good! They inject it with mojo sauce beforehand.

www.lacajachina.com

or fun article

or another kinda scientific fun article

Now I'm STARVING, and only roasted pig will satisfy my hunger. Wah!

Susan,

Here's another recent thread you might be interested in
icon_wink.gif

Ah, beautiful! Thanks, Bill. I tried to use the search feature, but it didn't turn up anything!

I knew this thingamabob could not go unnoticed by this eagle-eyed group.

I better check that thread--I prolly posted on it! lol

Susan:

I saw that episode also. Stomach is still growling. Not much to the Caja China but I will stick with WSM for now. My appetite is not that big
icon_eek.gif

I've been trying to figure out how to possibly justify such a purchase, but I just can't figure out where I have 40 or 50 friends to invite over. Jeez, that seems so sad...!

Just so I understand..... this "oven roasts" meat, it does not smoke it? I looked at their web site and that what is appears to be. I don't get the attraction. I thought we were "smokers" here.... what's up with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve M.:
I thought we were "smokers" here.... what's up with that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve: See forum, also for grillers and above all, for CONSUMERs of "good eats," however they may be prepared (see recipes)...let's eat!
icon_biggrin.gif

I have had one for 2 years or so. Have cooked 3 whole hogs as we have plenty of hogs here in FLA. When it isnt deer season, hogs are going to be the next best thing to hunt for.
It works like it says and turns out great but would still like some smoke flavor. You need to season the hog well before putting him or her in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back