Anyone know what a Fireboard is?

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So just saw an ad on FBM. Person selling a Pitts and Spitts and including a "Fireboard". I think I have heard that term before but don't know what it is. Is it an add on controller, or is it the full controller?

Third party pit temperature controller...maybe an older model? Maybe doesn't have all the features/control of the new models.

Third party pit temperature controller...maybe an older model? Maybe doesn't have all the features/control of the new models.

Ahh, OK looks like it would not be a good pellet grill "controller" :( as it's the auger and the igniter that needs controlling

Ahh, OK looks like it would not be a good pellet grill "controller" :( as it's the auger and the igniter that needs controlling

I've never had a pellet grill but in general principal, they have to operate on a "temperature too low" --> increase feed of pellets, or "temperature too high" --> slow down feed of pellets (at least I would think that is how they function.

If so, the "factory" controller could possibly be bypassed and controlled by the Fireboard? Or...they were just using it as a fancy thermometer....

The Fireboard really could not control a pellet grill as there are multi functions needed if you see them in operation. They have to turn on or off the auger motor, and turn on/off the igniter rod. And that is on the simpler ones. On some, they use DC motors and then they'd need to control not only on/off but speed of the fan or on/off plus start up and shut down cycles as well. It's way more complicated than controlling a fan i.e. in a gravity feed

The fireboard is an intricate part of the LSG pellet pooper, I have posted about it before, "pay once, cry once!" there isn't a better PP on the market right now. Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with LSG, just a vey happy customer of one their products. Built to last, do your your homework, there the real deal.

You previously stated that the fireboard could not control a PP, these (2) video prove otherwise, I am not trying to get into an argument, just trying to help. Watch the videos & everything falls into place.

You previously stated that the fireboard could not control a PP, these (2) video prove otherwise, I am not trying to get into an argument, just trying to help. Watch the videos & everything falls into place.
Well the weird thing is I looked up the Fireboard. And their own literature indicated it could only control a fan on a gravity feed smoker. So my "guess?" is LSG contracts them to make something special or LSG somehow makes a custom companion for the Fireboard to control all the parameters needed to run a pellet grill. But, here is the info I found on my own
I looked through about every word of their literature and could not see anywhere how this could be adapted to run a pellet grill.
I know it's not an argument. Not interested in that either. But this thing is actually "affordable" enough that I would buy one in a heartbeat if I knew I could adapt it. But, there is some other thing going on between FB and LSG

Well the weird thing is I looked up the Fireboard. And their own literature indicated it could only control a fan on a gravity feed smoker. So my "guess?" is LSG contracts them to make something special or LSG somehow makes a custom companion for the Fireboard to control all the parameters needed to run a pellet grill. But, here is the info I found on my own
I looked through about every word of their literature and could not see anywhere how this could be adapted to run a pellet grill.
I know it's not an argument. Not interested in that either. But this thing is actually "affordable" enough that I would buy one in a heartbeat if I knew I could adapt it. But, there is some other thing going on between FB and LSG
My guess is that it's some form of proprietary software between the LSG & FB, nothing gained, nothing lost, life goes on.

My guess is that it's some form of proprietary software between the LSG & FB, nothing gained, nothing lost, life goes on.
Yeah. I am going to write to them and ask them if I could use one to control a generic pellet grill and if so how. I promise I WILL post the results of that communication. Who knows? There may be others here who would be interested in this as well. Because I REALLY liked what I saw in those videos

This is an interesting conversation on the FB and pellet smokers. I only watched 6 minutes of the first video that Eric posted but between 4-6 minutes it shows features like "cold smoke", "auger", "pellet", "prime", etc.

And here: https://www.fireboard.com/blog/how-fireboard-is-using-usb-pd/ there is this:

1714202666731.png

Does it mean that the OEM controller on pellet and gravity smokers is still required and the FB piggybacks off the smoker's original controller?

Last edited:
Hmm, so perhaps I am correct in that this FB is a collaboration between FB and themselves to OEM a product for the LSG but have a well respected "name" on that controller. I am going to write to the company during the week. I hope to hear back. I will report also what they tell me

I was of the same mind set as @Greg Ross-MN that this would just work as on grills with a fan as lots of folks have done to replace the Masterbuilt Gravity as there is no auger or glow rod and just has a fan. But after watching these vids and searching it seams there are a handful of higher end pellet poopers that come with this Fireboard setup. My guess is that they do have their custom settings and that DIN cable is going to a daughter board that breaks out the pins to different systems on the grill. I would love to see the wiring diagram for these grills. I am really interested in what Larry finds out from Fireboard as they do not offer an after market pellet grill solution I can find but they do advertise a Masterbuilt one with a plug and play cable through BBQ Guys I believe.

On another note, I wonder if Weber would have partnered with Fireboard for the Smokefire if it would have been a success.

On another note, I wonder if Weber would have partnered with Fireboard for the Smokefire if it would have been a success.
I don't think a controller would have helped that. I think much of the issues were of a design nature. I also can't help but if Weber had come out right from the get go and simply said to use a sheet pan under long cooking foods much of the issues could have been averted and then the little "niggling" things like the feed ramp, and a couple other things could have been solved right off

Back