Anyone have an electric lawn mower?

I've got an EGO and it's been good. It's a self-propelled model, though rarely use that. It's big, but folds up and stores vertical. Lawn is about 5,000sq ft, I can get 2 to 3 mows out of a full battery, depending on grass height, last rain, etc. Comes with a couple different blades based on the type of cut you want.

This is a roughly scale model of the 56v battery:
2024-05-12_20-47-09.png

Last edited:
If your going to electric and I looked into it a few years ago how much are you mowing? What kind of grass are you mowing? You might not think that is important the kind of grass but I have zoysia grass in my back yard I pay a guy to do the front I do the back which is not much cause I have a pool but it is tough stuff. I ended it up buying another Honda I did have a neighbor down the street bought the Ego he also has zoysia grass a few years ago just did not do the job for him so he ended up selling it and buying another Honda.

Many factors and I am a CR subscriber also agree with Chris are they perfect no are they better than most yes IMO they are. To say everything they publish you take it with a huge grain of salt has not been my experience by the way Larry are you a subscriber just curious.
I was, until I started seeing all the weird reviews that did not make any sense a great example is their appliance reviews. Like the issue I noted. I saw all kind of these things and they made no sense to me. So, I have no use for them anymore. Don't want to pay $$$ for something I don't feel I can trust.

Yeah that Zoysia turf is really tough stuff. Years ago, my old neighbor put some of those plugs out in his yard and it started spreading a bit. There is still a patch that has made it partially into my yard. Even though it may not be very high, but it even slows down my Kubota. My Honda walk behind bogs down pretty badly in it if I am using it. Even with new quad blades installed.

Ego is the bomb. Total awesome sauce. And the current models have an even better blade system and cut.

Best feature? Headlights — makes for a quiet zen sunset mow. Great way to end a hectic day.

Last edited:
Yeah 2 schools of thought. Buy products where you can double duty the batteries or forget that and buy the one you like. EGO is REALLY good stuff. I had one of their trimmers. Really good. Gave it to my daughter and her SO for her house. Kicking myself for being so nice to that putz (not her, him). Anyway I wanted to try to keep one battery eco system. Which is why I bought the DeWalt. Now one would think how could that 20V DeWalt keep up with the Ego with much more powerful battery? Well, I have to say the DeWalt is amazing. Same with the blower. I bought the DeWalt blower to replace my gas one. Which was one of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-19...Noise-Handheld-Leaf-Blower-PB-255LN/204200939
The DeWalt 20V is every bit as powerful and I don't come in smelling like an old engine, and I don't have to keep mixed gasoline around. And it weighs half as much.
In any case my decision to go with DeWalt seems to have been a sound one. I even had bought a DeWalt pole chain saw. Fantastic piece of equip. Punching far above it's weight. But, I sold it. I'm no lumber jack :D After I had a couple limbs take unexpected falls (on to my head), told the wife. "I ain't doing this no more". Now, I pay a pro to do it, and sold the chain saw.
The only place I am gonna sway on my battery thing is this. Snow throwers. After listening to CR and buying that Toro POS, (another reason I have no faith in them), top rated but worst machine BY FAR I've ever used.
I will be looking for a battery electric snow blower/thrower. I picked up a little Snow Joe battery shovel/thrower this past winter. What a fantastic little machine. Sadly DeWalt does not make any snow equip. So I am looking at Snow Joe and EGO electrics.
I guess at that point then if I go electric lawnmower I could go with that battery ecosystem.

It does make sense to adopt one battery platform.

But the mower is by far the most important and most used tool. And Ego is the best e-mower.

Any brand will have an ok blower and weed whacker.

I have had so many people say that if you want a golf course lawn and can mow the Zoysia every three days it’s great but, this is NOT Augusta! This is normal Michigan crabgrass with some rye and bourbon thrown in for dandelion control. And that’s just fine for me, someone doesn’t like it? Roll on buddy!
I just need to decide if a Dewalt mower is worth a cold bottle of urine?
My guess is there are three places in china making them and slapping whatever color panels or stickers on the run for whoever.
All my Dewalt stuff seems pretty solid, pole saw is great, chainsaw leaks bar oil but, that’s not surprising. So I’ve got 20V batteries and chargers for both driver and drill. Seems like I’m not hearing “DeWalt is rubbish” from anyone, aside from the “dealer” being HD I’m leaning that way. Unless the nice chap I spoke with earlier makes me as good a price as my old guy.

Wait.......................Home Depot is calling them rubbish? Not smart move considering they sell them. I personally don't have any fear buying a DeWalt product. Every tool I've bought that brand has been a very solid performer. So I fail to see why the mower would be any less so.
Actually found a couple on FB Marketplace, I may put my eye on. For as little as I need/use a walk behind I could get rid of the Honda, and the spare Honda engine in my back garage (long story on that one), and have a machine I can fold up and store out of the way. And so what if DW is not top of the line in mowers (though again given the quality of their power tools I fail to see why it wouldn't be)? For as often as I use a mower it's right up my alley.
Now, I just need to either get rid of or supplement that POS Toro snowblower that CR fawned all over. Sure would like to know what kind of snow they tried it on?

I did see a Milwaukee at Farm & Fleet. Holy moly that was over a grand.
True, but it’s a $500 mower and two $250 batteries.

Milwaukee is getting crazy with their pricing, love their stuff but dang. They promised a snowblower last year and….crickets. (CEO I believe it was mentioned it at Pipeline 2022). Held off to see what it was and kinda irritated about the no show. I’m to the point where I HAVE to have a snowblower, my back is so bad shoveling.

I’ve noticed Ego is getting proud of their stuff. But I’m sold on their snowblowers and mower. Seems solid stuff

My Toro lawnmower turned 28 this year so I would probably take a look at their battery offerings when the time comes. I'm still concerned with range as I would be unwilling to purchase an additional expensive battery. I guess I would just immediately return the mower if it couldn't cut my (1/3 of an acre) yard in one charge.

I have had so many people say that if you want a golf course lawn and can mow the Zoysia every three days
Yes and if you want that you need a reel mower gas powered of course.

I have Zoysia in my back yard and obviously have no intention of mowing it every three days the great thing about it is its very slow growing only need to mow it about every 7-8 days so mine looks like a normal lawn if I had to describe it a southern lawn which is generally mowed shorter than when I lived up north. It loves the heat unlike fescue and does not need a ton of water also goes dormant in the winter so basically does not need to be mowed after the end of October till mid April depends how early it gets hot.

Its extremely thick like a carpet when mowed as I said I doubt an electric mower would work very well especially if you had to cheat a few days past 7-8 the Honda does not have a problem.

I don't think a rotary style mower is the best choice for that type of grass. Because they "whack" off the grass rather than a "reel" type which actually "cuts"

I don't think a rotary style mower is the best choice for that type of grass. Because they "whack" off the grass rather than a "reel" type which actually "cuts"
The first mower I ever used was a Craftsman self-propelled reel mower that my Dad had. I'm sure someone still makes them.

The first mower I ever used was a Craftsman self-propelled reel mower that my Dad had. I'm sure someone still makes them.
I think they were outlawed and are only available commercially. I remember they disappeared sometime in the 60's or 70's because the blades could not be enclosed as they are on a rotary

I think they were outlawed and are only available commercially. I remember they disappeared sometime in the 60's or 70's because the blades could not be enclosed as they are on a rotary
Ah, of course. I'm sure it's just something short of a miracle that I'm still in one piece. I know I was ten or eleven when I started cutting our lawn with that deathtrap.

At some point in time I will also be looking at an electric mower and will choose one that is also compatible with a good snow blower so I can keep the batteries in service year around. My other electric tools and yard equipment are now Milwaukee so I will be taking a hard look at them, especially if they come out with the promised snow blower, but I'm not married to them. EGO will be another hard look. A couple of neighbors have them and they seem to work well, until they let the grass get too tall.

A couple of neighbors have them and they seem to work well, until they let the grass get too tall.
That can be a problem in the spring, especially here in the Midwest. A really rainy spring like we are having this year can cause a situation that requires at least weekly mowing to stay ahead of the growth. If you get to the ten day mark because of your schedule or the weather not cooperating you can definitely have a problem with the grass being too long for a mower to handle. Even a gas mower will struggle under those conditions.

I know your looking into an electric LM, but I would suggest a Toro 22" self propelled good old fashion gas powered one, It's hard to beat the Briggs & Stratton engine, mine starts on the first or second pull. Very little maintenance, I change the air filter, spark plug & oil annually & can be had for a little over 4 bills.

Back