Anyone ever regret the 22.5?

I bought the 18 first and love it. I just bought the 22 cause I have a few big smokes. Actually just did 8 butts for my daughters graduation. I have noticed that the 22 wants more fuel at around 10 hours. Only my second smoke on it so it is still working on Getting it fully seasoned. I put the 18 on craigs list and when I got a bite I couldnt sell it as I want both! The 18 will probably be my day to day smoker for the family butts but the 22 will do my ribs as I can lay them flat

My only regret with my 22 is that I didn't buy 2 at the time (had the money). I've thought about getting a 18 in addition to but another 22 would benefit me more.

Just got the 22 in yesterday. My concern was if it would fit or not on my deck and how it would look. While it looks HUGE without the cover. With the cover it looks just the same as a 22.5 grill. In other words, don't be concerned about the wife/girlfriend freaking out because its too big. Really the only reason one might regret the 22 over the 18 is because of the fuel IMO. With K at 20 cents a pound thats not a huge concern for me. I plan on using this thing for 30 plus years so I plan to be ready for any cook even a big one.

Originally posted by dksmith17:
Just got the 22 in yesterday. My concern was if it would fit or not on my deck and how it would look. While it looks HUGE without the cover. With the cover it looks just the same as a 22.5 grill. In other words, don't be concerned about the wife/girlfriend freaking out because its too big. Really the only reason one might regret the 22 over the 18 is because of the fuel IMO. With K at 20 cents a pound thats not a huge concern for me. I plan on using this thing for 30 plus years so I plan to be ready for any cook even a big one.

I'm in the same boat...I'm going to have my 22.5 for the long haul, so I went for the big one.

Definitely go with 22. 90% of the time when I bust mine out neighbors come out of the wood work and start Throwing stuff on.Plenty of room. I've packed over 60lbs of Que on the WSM. The down fall is, it's a fuel hog

It all depends on the amount of food you want to cook. I would not get the bigger unit unless I was cooking that much every time out. You will use more charcoal. I have the 18 incher and it will hold 4 butts and some more grub around it! Also If you have a kettle or two around you can always use them for back up smoking! I have a reg size kettle and also the slightly smaller one with wooden handles...

Regret buying the 22 WSM? No way! Right now I have 3 full spares on there. One big one on the bottom and 2 on the top grate. Love the room. Cooks great. I've been using a Pitmaster IQ the last 3 cooks and I really like it. Holds temps rock steady...

I'm glad I got the 22.5. If I need a smaller space, I can smoke in a kettle. If I needed a bigger space, the kettle just wouldn't cut it.

I just got the 22.5 because my 18.5 was too small. Last summer I had about 20 people over for a midnight brisket smoked on the 18.5. So many people heard about it, that this summer we are doing it again for over 40 people.

I got the 22.5 last night. It's beautiful. First test smoke coming this weekend.

Love my 22.5! Haven't filled it up, but have done everything from ribs to butt to chicken and love the way it performs. Now that I've gotten pretty good the request keep coming in. Planning a party later this year and will fill that thing up in no time. Would be worried with a smaller one.

SO GLAD I got the 22.5!! It easily smokes 1 rack or butt as 10! I fill up the ring and when done, snuff the fire and have plenty of fuel for the next time! This thing is a miser! Were it a car, It would be getting 75 miles/gallon!

I've had the 22.5" for 3 smokes so far. I absolutely recommend it. I'm sure the 18 is fine, but I've seen several posts of "buyers remorse" from people who got the 18, and then wished they had gotten the 22.

Comments about heavy fuel use...I have not found that to be true. I am still trying to find the "sweet spot" so that I don't have a bunch of fuel left over. Did a brisket yesterday and forgot to close the vents. After a total of 18 hours, my WSM was still cranking at 225.

JJ

I was going to cook ribs on my 22 today. By the time I was done, I added two racks for my friend, one for his dad and mom, one for my parents and one for my in laws, plus the four for us. Nine racks, laid flat. That is what I love about the 22 (I did add a third grate of course). Once people get a taste of your product, they will be lined up to throw food on in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by S Mitchell:
I was going to cook ribs on my 22 today. By the time I was done, I added two racks for my friend, one for his dad and mom, one for my parents and one for my in laws, plus the four for us. Nine racks, laid flat. That is what I love about the 22 (I did add a third grate of course). Once people get a taste of your product, they will be lined up to throw food on in a heartbeat.
That must of been a little tight. Were they BB's?

Brett

Originally posted by dean:
It all depends on the amount of food you want to cook. I would not get the bigger unit unless I was cooking that much every time out. You will use more charcoal. I have the 18 incher and it will hold 4 butts and some more grub around it! Also If you have a kettle or two around you can always use them for back up smoking! I have a reg size kettle and also the slightly smaller one with wooden handles...

I'm with Dean on this one. How often will you need the enormity of the 22" WSM? I've never even used the bottom rack of my 18.5" WSM, even when I've smoked for 5-6 people. If you routinely smoke for large groups, then that's another story....

The 22 is a little big for the two of us and the dinner parties for 5-6, but that is where the Smoker Joe is used. For the larger events, the 22 is perfect and worth every penny paid. No regrets

I have the 18.5. I do love it, but can't stand cooking ribs on it. No room to lay them out flat. Bought a rib rack, but with bigger racks, I still need to cut them in half b/c they will be to long for the 18.5.

I rarely cook for more than 8-10 people so that's why I bought the 18.5 2 years ago. Actually, I've never cooked for more than 20 people.

I would love to pick up the 22.5 for the simple fact that I can cook ribs flat, with no rack, and possibly along with other meats.

I've thought about putting my 18.5'' on CL and taking the cash from that and putting towards a 22.5''.

One thought I had in regards to fuel consumption is what if on say 3 slabs of ribs I kept my 18.5'' charcoal ring and used it in place of the 22.5? Would this be sufficient to get the temps up in the bigger smoker? Or would the bigger ring be needed?

Back