anyone cram baby back ribs into a 14.5

Grant W

TVWBB Member
Just wondering how much i can add to my cook if i run the little guy too, if i run my backwoods, my 22.5 and 18.5 i should be able to do 32 racks can i up it too 38 with the little guy?

In the 14.5, I've cooked two racks on the top grate by using a rib rack and had an extra slot. So...you can do five racks of ribs with fives halves on one rib rack on top and the other five halves on one rib rack on the bottom.

Last edited:
Depends if you want them flat down or sideways, if you want them flat down you can do about 2-4 racks, if you do them sideways you can cook 10-15 racks.

Wait.......are you saying 10-15 Racks of ribs will for on a 14.5" WSM????? I'm having trouble visualizing that?

You ever see those sideways rack holders? They fit 5ish racks on them. Also if you dont use those you could always spiral your ribs. It would easily fit 5 spiral racks on each rack set. Now given that amount of meat your biggest issue would be temp, you would be using ALOT of hot coals to get you started and most likely have to refuel.

I was planning on rolling the ribs on the wsm's, i will have to see i guess, i was pretty sure all i could fit on the 22 was 6 per shelf rolled? i now have a loaner 18.5 too

I was planning on rolling the ribs on the wsm's, i will have to see i guess, i was pretty sure all i could fit on the 22 was 6 per shelf rolled? i now have a loaner 18.5 too
Yes, 6 rolled slabs per grate on the WSM 22.

Our old friend Stogie used to cram half slabs into the WSM 18"...I found his page, scroll down to the rib rack photos. Maybe you can get some ideas about laying half slabs on top of the rack or leaned up against the side to get 6-8 slabs in that WSM 14". And don't forget to post photos so we can see what you did! :)

http://www.thebbqguru.net/bbq-equipment/

I think we're talking about 10 half slabs, not 10 full slabs.

Yes but as you noticed from your link thats 10 half slabs or 5 full slabs per rack. Because there is two racks that easily fits 10 FULL racks, plus maybe if your lucky to fit a bit more on there which is why I said 10-15 racks depending upon your setup.

Back