Another Stoker vs. CyberQ Thread!

Scott in SoCal

TVWBB Member
I'm wavering between the CyberQ and the Stoker. For me, the key feature is WiFi. I want to be able to reliably monitor and control the pit via WiFi, both when I'm at my house and when I'm away from my home network. I'm not an IT professional, but I'm pretty adept with computers and networks.

I've heard the Stoker has had WiFi problems. Can anyone comment on that?

Also, I'd just generally like to hear everyone's impressions of both the Stoker and CyberQ.

It's not an easy decision, and since the controller will cost more than the pit, I want to be sure I get the right unit for my needs. Thanks everyone!!

CyberQ. Works great. Network setup was not difficult at all. Able to monitor at home on any computer or smart phone. Awesome to be able to run to the store and keep an eye on it.

I looked at both the BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi and the Rock's Bar-B-Que Stoker.
I bought myself a CyberQ WiFi for Christmas with the 10 cfm Pit Viper fan and WSM adapter.
I chose the CyberQ WiFi ATC system, but by all accounts the Stoker also works well.
The CyberQ WiFi is basically a WiFi version of a DigiQ DX2 with 3 food probes.

I've done a few cooks on it and it works great.
Here is a mini review I did.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38611-CyberQ-WiFi-First-Cooks&p=389683#post389683

Here is the adapter mod I did to my WSMs.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38145-BBQ-Guru-Adapter-Mod&p=383332#post383332

The CyberQ WiFi can only control one pit at a time, though it does support three food probes.
The Stoker can simultaneously control more than one pit.
If you need multi pit capability, the Stoker is for you.

The CyberQ WiFi has Ad-Hoc mode, which allows you to easily configure and access it.
The problem is not all Android devices support Ad-Hoc mode. My Samsung Galaxy SIII does not support Ad-Hoc mode.
Details.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38047-CyberQ-WiFi-Android-And-Adhoc-Mode
The Stoker has an ethernet jack allowing you to wire it to an ethernet switch with a patch cord for easy configuration.

Both units do the following.
Are sold in systems with various pit adapters and fan sizes.
Can be manually configured from the front panel.
Come with an AC adapter.
Have a backlit LCD display.
Have a built in web interface.
Have different probe wire lengths available.
Have food and pit alarms.
Support full wireless LAN and internet operation.

The Stoker comes with 1 - 4' pit probe and 1 - 4' food probe.
The CyberQ WiFi comes with 1 - 6' pit probe, 3 - 6' food probes and a mounting bracket.

The CyberQ WiFi will operate directly on a 12VDC source.
The Stoker requires a 5VDC to 12VDC converter to use on a 12VDC source.

The CyberQ WiFi has a plastic case with a built in antenna.
The Stoker has a metal case with an external antenna.

The CyberQ WiFi sends alert e-mails.
The Stoker sends alert tweets to your Twitter account.

The CyberQ WiFi fan has a manual damper.
The Stoker fan has an automatic close/open damper.

The CyberQ WiFi has automatic open pit detection.
The Stoker has a manual open pit timer.

The CyberQ WiFi has a ramp cooking mode.

The CyberQ WiFi fan is easier to install and remove from it's pit adapter.

The CyberQ WiFi pit adapter comes with a kill plug.

The CyberQ WiFi is easier to congigure than the Stoker.

The Stoker has status lights on their device plugs.

The Stoker has more aftermarket software support than the CyberQ Wifi.

For a comparable system, the CyberQ WiFi is less expensive than the Stoker.

Good luck.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob: If you wouldn't mind answering these questions, I'd VERY much appreciate it! Thank you!

Scott

The CyberQ WiFi has Ad-Hoc mode, which allows you to easily configure and access it.
The problem is not all Android devices support Ad-Hoc mode. My Samsung Galaxy SIII does not support Ad-Hoc mode.

I also have a Galaxy S III. Does this mean that I won't be able to control either the Stoker or the CyberQ from my phone?

What does this mean in terms of functionality and the amount of attention I need to pay to the pit as the ATC does its thing?

The CyberQ WiFi has automatic open pit detection.
The Stoker has a manual open pit timer.

Do you find that the automatic detection is a big advantage?

The CyberQ WiFi is easier to congigure than the Stoker.

In what way is the CyberQ easier to configure?

The Stoker has more aftermarket software support than the CyberQ Wifi.

I really don't need much...just the ability to control the pit remotely from my phone, tablet, laptop, etc. Is there sufficient software out there for the CyberQ to accomplish this?

Last edited:
Bob: If you wouldn't mind answering these questions, I'd VERY much appreciate it! Thank you!
Not at all, glad to help if I can.

Bob: I also have a Galaxy S III. Does this mean that I won't be able to control either the Stoker or the CyberQ from my phone?
You can control and monitor both ATCs from any device that has a web browser and can go on your LAN or the internet, including your S III.

What does this mean in terms of functionality and the amount of attention I need to pay to the pit as the ATC does its thing?
They can both be configured and operated manually from their front panels, or via their built in web interfaces. Once set up for a cook, both ATCs will work on their own, without having to connect to them from a smart phone or a laptop/tablet.

Do you find that the automatic detection is a big advantage?
It works well, and does help. A big advantage, I dunno, I've never turned it off to see what happens. :)

In what way is the CyberQ easier to configure?
The Stoker can control multiple pits at the same time. Because of this feature, devices need to be associated. This is not necessary on the CyberQ WiFi.

I really don't need much...just the ability to control the pit remotely from my phone, tablet, laptop, etc. Is there sufficient software out there for the CyberQ to accomplish this?
Both units come with a built in web interface, no other program is needed.

Last edited:

Bob: Thanks so much for your response. I'm still unclear on how the automatic vs. manual damper impacts functionality. Can you give me any additional information?

Much appreciated!

Scott

I'm still unclear on how the automatic vs. manual damper impacts functionality. Can you give me any additional information?
When a fan is not running, leakage can occur through it and continue to stoke the fuel in your pit. This can lead to an unwanted temperature rise. Stoker fans have a damper that only opens when the fan is running, which prevents this leakage.

If you choose a fan that is too big or too small, temperature control can be poor. BBQ Guru fans have a manual damper that allows you to tune the fan to your pit and cooking conditions. If you have a 10cfm fan and close the damper 1/2 way, you now have a 5cfm fan.

Last edited:
When a fan is not running, leakage can occur through it and continue to stoke the fuel in your pit. This can lead to an unwanted temperature rise. Stoker fans have a damper that only opens when the fan is running, which prevents this leakage.

If you choose a fan that is too big or too small, temperature control can be poor. BBQ Guru fans have a manual damper that allows you to tune the fan to your pit and cooking conditions. If you have a 10cfm fan and close the damper 1/2 way, you now have a 5cfm fan.

Interesting. Do you think the automatic damper is a big plus?

Interesting. Do you think the automatic damper is a big plus?
The automatic damper is a good thing. IMHO, it's not a big advantage over the manual damper.

Ideally, fans would have both types of dampers. Even better would be a variable speed fan with an automatic damper. Neither system supports a variable speed fan.

Stoker fans are screwed into their pit adapters. This makes removing the fan after a cook difficult.

BBQ Guru fans can be just pulled out of their pit adapters and come with a kill plug. This makes things very easy after a cook.

Last edited:
The automatic damper is a good thing. IMHO, it's not a big advantage over the manual damper.

Ideally, fans would have both types of dampers. Even better would be a variable speed fan with an automatic damper. Neither system supports a variable speed fan.

Stoker fans are screwed into their pit adapters. This makes removing the fan after a cook difficult.

BBQ Guru fans can be just pulled out of their pit adapters and come with a kill plug. This makes things very easy after a cook.

Thanks for your comments and patience, Bob. Much appreciated!! :D

I've heard the Stoker has had WiFi problems. Can anyone comment on that?
There have been some reports of that. I tried to duplicate the problem and could never get it to fail. In general, WiFi home networks are never very reliable. Until I changed my home network to enterprise level WiFi, our laptops would fail just the same. So if at all possible, you want to use a wired connection with either.

Also, I'd just generally like to hear everyone's impressions of both the Stoker and CyberQ.
As the author of stokerlog, I am of course biased :). The thing is that since we can easily augment the features of stoker through software, the hardware capabilities are almost never a hard barrier. Just about anything one wishes can be added through software. A recent example is stokerlog's ability to have timed cooking where you can set four different times and four different temps and stokerlog will change things automatically for you. You can program the stoker using stokerlog or browser which makes things dead easy.

There have been some reports of that. I tried to duplicate the problem and could never get it to fail. In general, WiFi home networks are never very reliable. Until I changed my home network to enterprise level WiFi, our laptops would fail just the same. So if at all possible, you want to use a wired connection with either.

As the author of stokerlog, I am of course biased :). The thing is that since we can easily augment the features of stoker through software, the hardware capabilities are almost never a hard barrier. Just about anything one wishes can be added through software. A recent example is stokerlog's ability to have timed cooking where you can set four different times and four different temps and stokerlog will change things automatically for you. You can program the stoker using stokerlog or browser which makes things dead easy.

Amir: Thanks for this information. A wired connection is not an option for me. That's why I'm trying to decide between these two WiFi units. What is "enterprise level WiFi?" Also, I have a Samsung Galaxy S III Android phone. Are there any compatibility issues?

Basically, here's what I want to do:

1. Control the pit from anywhere I can access my home network (i.e., either from the desktop computer that is hardwired to the router, or from any of the PCs or Android devices that are logged into the home network via WiFi).

2. Control the pit from my phone if I'm away from the house, or from my tablet or laptop if I'm logged into the Internet.

3. Have my computer (or Android device) warn me if my temps go too high or too low.

4. I like the open-lid feature of the CyberQ, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated! Thanks!

Did you end up getting one?

I bought the CyberQ. I couldn't get it to work in ad-hoc mode (it kept disconnecting from two different Windows machines). Finally, after a LOT of work, I got it connected in infrastructure mode and was able to control it both at home and away using Windows XP, Windows 7 and my Android devices. Once I got it into infrastructure mode, it was really slick.

Back