Angus Tri Tip = the most AMAZING beef I ever had

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
A few years back, I bought Weber's Charcoal Grilling book. There was an article about 2 dudes called the Dueling Bubba's, and it showed there version of tri tip, which was prepared like a brisket. Being from NJ, I had never heard of or seen a tri tip. Regardless, it was something that I wanted to try for a long time. Well, I finally found Angus Tri Tips at Restaurant Depot, so I picked some up (an 18 lb. cryovac). In reading all the post on this forum, everyone sung praises of perfectly grilled Tri Tips, and that also intrigued me. I couldn't decide which method to use for my first attempt, so I made them both.

For the brisket style, I followed the Dueling Bubba's recipe exactly. For the grilled, I used olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.

Selecting two of the smaller pieces of meat. I think each was probably less than 2 lbs.
IMG_7109.jpg

Getting ready for the smoker. Slathered in Gulden's mustard and Bubba's rub.
IMG_7110.jpg

Ready for the grill.
IMG_7112.jpg

In the smoker.
IMG_7111.jpg

Grilled indirectly with grilled white asparagus and portabello mushrooms marinated in balsamic vinegar.
IMG_7113.jpg

Ready to be devoured!
IMG_7114.jpg

I cannot say how happy I was with this meal. After smoking the Tri Tip, I may never buy brisket again. My wife said that this was the best thing that I ever cooked!

Thanks for talking the time to look!

Nice looking tri-tip. Now I just have to find where I can find Tri-tips around here. Would realy like to try this sometime.

I hope to be able to find some tri-tip and give one some time on the grill myself.

Yours looks fantastic, Steven!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keith Kenney:
Nice looking tri-tip. Now I just have to find where I can find Tri-tips around here. Would realy like to try this sometime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It took me a long time to find them. I can only say that they were worth the weight. They were $5/lb., but worth every cent.

Excellent meal Steven! From the pictures I say that one with the most predominant smoke ring is from the grill, right? That is the way my first one came out on the grill. The one I did today was on the smoker and not much of a smoke ring. It also took me quite awhile to find Tri-tip, but I did locate them in Costco if there is any available in your areas.

Actually, the one with the smoke ring was done on the WSM. For the one on the grill, I cooked it indirectly and had planned on doing a reverse sear. The internal temperature was getting too high, so I was afraid that if I seared it, it would be too done. Good call, I think. So, I guess it was more like a roast than grilled.

Back