Angry Wings

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Found this wing recipe earlier this spring. Looked interesting so I made a trip to a local Asian food store to pick up some gochujang and gochugaru.

Here are the ingredients:
6 pounds chicken wings (about 24), tips discarded and wings split
1/4 cup canola oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup gochujang (Korean chile paste)
2 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean chile powder)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallions, for garnish

Mixing up the paste;

20140422_134043_zpswbibvmqw.jpg

Paste is a nice dark red color;
20140422_134115_zpsnydsv84d.jpg

Cooked the wings on the performer instead of in the oven of course;
20140422_172540_zps90xvcgjy.jpg

And plated with some veggies;
20140422_173637_zpsezsqgml3.jpg

I made a few changes to that recipe because the paste is quite thick and it makes it hard to coat the wings. I doubled the rice vinegar, sesame oil, water and soy sauce. I also added 1 tsp of red pepper flakes for a little more heat. I didn't have any fresh ginger today so I used 1 tsp of powdered ginger this time. This sauce is sooo good. Smells delightful too. I've made these wings 3 times in the last few weeks. I only use a 3lb bag of frozen wings instead of the 6lbs the recipe calls for. I will just use half of the paste now and the other half this weekend. I didn't have any scallions on hand for garnish either. A nice change of pace from buffalo wings.

Here is full recipe taken from Food and Wine magazines website;
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-wings-with-angry-sauce

Last edited:
Thank you thank you than you for sharing this...I love wings and well, I am what some would call a connoisseur. This is inspiring and i'd like to try asap.

These wings are awesome, we have made this same recipe from Food & Wine.
You nailed it T! This paste/sauce is addictive stuff, really good on pork and beef also.

Very nice looking wings and with the ingredients you used they must packed a punch flavor wise too!!!

Dang....I'm so hungry for wings right now....your's look perfect. I checked out wings at the market the other day and they wanted $3.98 a pound, WTH!

These wings are awesome, we have made this same recipe from Food & Wine.
You nailed it T! This paste/sauce is addictive stuff, really good on pork and beef also.

Haven't tried it on anything but wings so far, but it did cross my mind immediately after making the first batch to mix it in with some ground pork and make sausage with it.

Thats funny, my wife just took a trip to Korea and brought me back that same chili paste. I don’t have the powder though. The wings look awesome!

Back