Aluminum pan in the 18.5" WSM

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
Greetings!

I like to use a disposable aluminum pan when cooking competition brisket and butts in my 18.5" WSM (to retain the juices when foiling). But the standard catering chafing dish size is a bit too big; it won't quite fit on the rack.

Do you use a foil pan? If so, what size? I'm considering just bending/folding the standard catering size to fit.

Thanks for any advice!

I use what are called half-size hotel pans: they're about 10x12 inches and they fit just fine on my 18.5. Obviously I couldn't fit a whole packer in one, but they're fine if I'm doing a flat or an average-size butt.

I get 'em at BJ's.

I use the Glad aluminum pan that has the picture of the lasagna on it in the 18 WSM. I think the size is 8.5" x 12". I also use some elcheapo wire grates from Amazon to put in the pans. This way the meat isn't just sitting in the grease.

Wire Racks

I use a much larger pan/grates in the 22 WSM.

Russ

Eric, this may not be of much help, but when I do beans for a crowd, I use a foil lasazna pan. I'm not sure of the size or make, but it fits really well on the bottom rack. The price is around $2.60 or so. HTH.

Back