Alton Brown porterhouse steak

There was talk over a year ago on the board about using the chimney starter with a grate on it. I tried it as part of a TRex method..

n1346888958_315640_7054907.jpg

and here

n1346888958_315641_2359314.jpg

Cooked on top of the chimney several times, but never thought to try cooking under it! Just got back with a nice thick porterhouse, fresh bag of Ore-ida crinkly frozen taters and a pablano pepper. By myself tonight so I will give it a go!

WOW! Wish I had the camera tonight...

This has to be one of the more perfectly seared steaks I think I have ever cooked. I'll have to dry age some now and really give it a go. The porterhouse came out absolutely beautiful!

My steak was only about an inch, maybe 3/4 thick... Little sea salt and fresh pepper, let it sit for an hour... So I seared it per the video, as I think the thickness really has no bearing on the searing process itself. You could literally watch the upper surface of the steak sear to a beautiful color. I only cooked it on top of the chimney for 40 seconds per side. It came out a perfect med-rare for me. Then I did something I NEVER EVER do... I let the steak actually rest for five minutes on a rack before I plated. Usually I always have a big hunk cut off of it while I am grilling the thing!

All in all this was a very fun cook to try... Roasted my pepper on top with the little grill grate while the coals were heating up, toasted up my rolls after the steak. I'll be doing this again for sure. Pretty much a whole meal on the little chimney. Great camping trick...

I tried Altons dry aging process on three 1 1/2" thick, choice Ribeyes this week. Used two chimneys of GFS lump charcoal on my kettle. Only a little Kosher salt for seasoning. Seared about 2 minutes each side, and finished them indirect. Pulled mine at 120, my wifes about 135, and my MIL's at 160.
icon_rolleyes.gif
(blech!) Both said it was one of the best tasting steaks they've eaten.

Back