Alternate to Weber "floor protection" mat

I am now VERY sure, it's not designed for a hot chimney (no coals inside). My question is why not? This isn't a glowing coal, though I would think a charcoal powered groll pad should handle that too. So what WILL work? Asbestos floor tiles no longer exist...plywood with ceramic tile? Other ideas? Basically I bought a $30 piece of outdoor carpeting.
I don't know what's available in PT, but I've found a small piece of Hardiplank siding (cement composite) makes a nice landing pad for very hot things. Frankly, as long as you don't need it as a pad to light the chimney on, a cement paver (8x8x1-1/2 or so) would work well.

Yes, I did forget to mention that before. Like I just told Chris, the area I use is very old, probably at least as old as I am and has been well cured at this point through much rain, humidity, and winter snow.

I'm actually planning a demolition for it at some point in the future when I get a chance to rebuild my porch. I'd much rather have wooden steps where this is at. I already know when I do, I will need to rent a jackhammer to get it out.
Mines about 30 years old.
You can see the 6 or so pink/hot spots and the one blow out.

Attachments

• 20210818_162810.jpg
    20210818_162810.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210818_162816.jpg
    20210818_162816.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210818_162821.jpg
    20210818_162821.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 7
Mines about 30 years old.
You can see the 6 or so pink/hot spots and the one blow out.
If I get time, I will get a picture of mine.

Yeah, those spots look like the holes for the bottom of your chimney.

On mine, I've had that chimney lit in the same spot well over 100 times, getting close to two. Never a problem. The original reason was just better airflow getting it started. And you also are not too far away Region wise, so conditions have been reasonably similar.

How big was the blowout? Judging by the spots, a shade over an inch maybe?

Along with the firebrick chimney "station", I have also used a 6' x 3' - 6mm piece of marine plywood under the kettle.
Hardboard also works well against grease-spots, food remnants and the odd hot lump escapee.
I like having a dedicated chimney spot as it allows me to fire up more briqs should the need arise whilst I'm cooking.

Along with the firebrick chimney "station", I have also used a 6' x 3' - 6mm piece of marine plywood under the kettle.
Hardboard also works well against grease-spots, food remnants and the odd hot lump escapee.
I like having a dedicated chimney spot as it allows me to fire up more briqs should the need arise whilst I'm cooking.
Part of the same reason that got me started doing it instead of setting it in my grill. When I started Smoking on my Kettle, I couldnt make use of it while it was going, and I will admit I was trying to use the baskets at the time instead of banking my fuel to get a better supply. The first few times, I didnt get enough coal added soon enough. Well, mistakes are how you learn.

I dont imagine that will ever be an Issue with my WSM though. Hope you are doing ok over in the UK Tony, I know things have not gone as smoothly over there with restrictions from what I have heard. Stay safe.

Hope you are doing ok over in the UK Tony, I know things have not gone as smoothly over there with restrictions from what I have heard. Stay safe.
All good here thanks. Things opening up and some resemblance of normality is returning. Stay safe.

I don't light on the surface. Nor am I looking for a chimney rest, but a flat un-seamed surface that is highly resistant, if not plain fire proof. Bricks mean seams and basically a platform, but may be the best alternative. Many years ago, the first pads I saw were semi rigid material that was about 1/4 inch thick. It was dark brown and I thought brilliant. I can't find the stuff now.

As to leaving a coal burning on the Weber and similar felt products. Try it. See what happens. Live coals burn through instantly. No it doesn't burn so yes it is fire resistant, just not melt resistant.

My chimney, which instantly melted through, no longer had coals in it.

Open to more material ideas.

I don't light on the surface. Nor am I looking for a chimney rest, but a flat un-seamed surface that is highly resistant, if not plain fire proof. Bricks mean seams and basically a platform, but may be the best alternative. Many years ago, the first pads I saw were semi rigid material that was about 1/4 inch thick. It was dark brown and I thought brilliant. I can't find the stuff now.

As to leaving a coal burning on the Weber and similar felt products. Try it. See what happens. Live coals burn through instantly. No it doesn't burn so yes it is fire resistant, just not melt resistant.

My chimney, which instantly melted through, no longer had coals in it.

Open to more material ideas.
I am really having a hard time understanding just what the difficulty is with a single patio paver, they are generally smooth on one side(no seams) or get a smooth round patio stone! It’s not rocket science, just thermodynamics.
Of course you could get a second grill. Just how much work do you think this is? Since its not for ignition, get a garden pot saucer and turn it upside down! Good grief, you’ve been carrying on about this for months?
Then again, maybe you need to visit Mr. Peabody and borrow the wayback machine.😉

I use a 18"x18" patio concrete block as I can move it between cookers.
On my deck I also use a car drip pan that is like 3 ft by 4.5 ft. Which is great for under a WSM or kettle.

I usually light mine in my performer and keep it in the grill but sometimes move it to the patio block when setting up my performer for a cook .

My two cents - for a deck matt under the grill, I actually looked it up on my deck manufacturer’s website, bought the one they recommended. On that note, if your contractor ever suggests Gossens instead of Trex, tell them NO. But the grill matt is fine.
As for under a chimney, as others have said, no way on that. I just saved a few old bricks from an old walkway, they work fine. I don’t care if the get discolored, and they are easy to clean up/shake off into the ash can.

I light mine and let it burn on the Performer grate or one of the WSM grates. Once I dump the coals, I just set it on a paver.

First time I set something hot on this mat, it burned right through. The fire resistance on this thing is NIL. I have a perfectly round hole the size of my chimney.
What alternative material can I use that will be readily available and can be adapted for purpose? Heat resistance (seems EXTREMELY obvious) is a must.
I use a sheet of backer board, used for bathroom tile floors.
heat and water resistant A safer alternative. Draw back ,not as pretty as rubber mats.

I was using firebricks to set the charcoal chimney on to light. Then I bought a used Smokey Joe to use the lid for a water pan. I now use the bottom for holding the charcoal chimney when lighting and to let it cool.

We’re a family of hoarders, so, if they’re not being used, the 18” kettle and charcoal Go Anywhere will often take turns holding the chimneys.

I will also put the chimney in the bowl of the WSM if I have not preloaded the WSM bowl.

That’s a fine option but, I light in my kettles, store underneath. When I light “extra” I can use another kettle sometimes obsession can work in your favor! 3-22”, one 18” I generally have an “extra zone” available for ignition.
Im lazy like that, I uncover one grill to cook on and set the chimney on its little grate #LightingIsJobOver

Back