All right let's pick a first go on a new WSM 22!

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've had enough amazing chicken from my smokenator-kettle-rotisserie that I will be trying something other than chicken.
My ultimate goal will be a brisket as soon as reasonable.
Should I start with a pork shoulder? Baby back ribs? Or just go for it and try the brisket?
I would love to hear your thoughts ideas suggestions. What would you do if you were starting all over?

I would do a pork shoulder before I did a brisket. The cook is similar (length and temp) you want to be good at holding a steady temp for a long time, a butt is a good test. If you nail the butt, then get yourself a brisket. Ribs are a must do, always and forever. You can never do too many ribs. Good luck with your brand new 22 WSM. I envy you Bruno

Do a couple of butts, then do ribs a few times. By then your WSM should be good and seasoned, and you will understand it better, then go brisket.

Totally agree with everyone else Bruno. I'll be doing my first WSM smoke this weekend as well. Already did a test run, and was impressed. But, I've been doing brisket on a stickburner for so many years, I'm scared to try it on the WSM...until I get to know it better. So, this weekend, I'm gonna do some spare ribs and double-smoke a ham. Maybe some beef ribs Sunday...should be a good test. If all goes well, I'm looking at brisket next weekend. If not, I'll keep playing until I get it down, as I sure don't want to ruin a great piece of meat.

I agree with doing a butt first. They're pretty forgiving and will really help you get a feel for time and temp control.

Ribs first! Everything else can wait.....
I decided to go with some ribs, they are a big reason i chose the 22. I still haven't ordered it due to a bunch of rain coming our way. I will soon enough, and I'll make sure to use Chris' link.:wsm22:

Back