advice on cooking large piece of meat

Tim Harris Sr.

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone!

I am going camping this weekend and went to costco to see what meat I could find.

They had full slabs of USDA PRIME New York cuts with a full fat cap..

I got a 12 pound slab.

What is the best way to tackle this? I would like to cook over open fire if possible, but will use the Weber if I have to.

Does anyone have any experiences working with slabs of good meat like this?

Should I cut into steaks?

Trim fat cap?

or just slow cook on open flame with fat side up till its done?

I would cut and cook over an open flame. If you have a large enough grate you could set it in on cinder blocks over the fire. I like steaks and the seared outside and the med rare inside. Just easier for me to flip steaks then worry about the whole slab and being new york and a little leaner than a rib eye.

If I did cook whole I would cut in half or thirds. Just the way I do it maybe not the right way. Hard to mess up a steak though.

I buy strips all the time and I cut into steaks about an inch thick. I think this is the best way to go, and definately cook over the open fire. good luck and have a great time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dsitterson:
I would cut and cook over an open flame. If you have a large enough grate you could set it in on cinder blocks over the fire. I like steaks and the seared outside and the med rare inside. Just easier for me to flip steaks then worry about the whole slab and being new york and a little leaner than a rib eye.

If I did cook whole I would cut in half or thirds. Just the way I do it maybe not the right way. Hard to mess up a steak though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like this Idea... Cut into 3rds, lock the juices in, THEN cut into seperate steaks after its done.

(after resting of course)

Back