adding wood

Ashley Ruthstrom

TVWBB Member
I usually follow some one recipe on how much wood to start with. I was just wondering if instead of starting with all the chunks in the beginning they added the chunks threw out the smoke. And if so was there any difference in the final result.

Ashley, I have never added wood mid-smoke, I just put enough in af the beginning and try to open the smoker as little as ppossible. I have also read that once the meat achieves 140°, it no longer gains smoke flavor. (Although that is just what I've read and don't know that for fact.) My only word of caution is, be careful when adding smoke wood. You cant take the smoke flavor out of the meat if too much is added.
Good luck, Tkm

I'm pretty sure that the smoke ring formation stops at 140 but since smoke flavor builds up on the meat surface it just keeps building up.

Just don't forget that "smoke" is accumulated on the surface of the meat and doesn't penetrate the meat. Based on that, the only variable is the amount of smoke wood you add. Same amounts should yeild same flavor.

From my experience and reading others on this board I think the results are the same. Only difference is that one is more work to manage!

Ashley, I add wood mid smoke all the time. I add my initial wood chunks just after I put the meat on. Saves me from fighting a lot of smoke in my face. Then later as needed.

I learned the lesson not to put the wood on till after the meat is on, on my first smoke.
icon_biggrin.gif

What Lew and Scooter wrote about the 140*/smoke ring and smoke flavor accumulation is true.

Personally I put wood on when the coals are ready and then the meat goes on immediately. I usually don't add more during the cook. If you're looking for a nice smoke ring, that's the time to do it. Since ring formation stops above 140*, get that ring formation going with the cold meat.

Also be aware that meats like poultry and fish won't require very much wood to give them smoke flavor so generally a single load will be sufficient.

Paul

I put some chunks around the ring, not touching any starter coals. When the meat goes on a few chunks go directly on top of the coals.

Back