Adding Gas Ignition to Performer?

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone tried adding the gas ignition to a Performer that didn't come with it? My dad surprised me with the grille, and I love it and appreciate the thing so much, but I think it might be nice to have the gas ignition. I've been scouring Craigslist for free parts possibly and was wondering if I am wasting my time looking. It seems like it might be doable, but if not I'll just stick to the 'ole chimney and newspaper method no problem.

There was a guy who restored a older SS performer and he did the gas assit install as it dose not take that many parts,the hardest part is the layout and drilling of the holes. He went to the box stores alot and took pictures and measurements and completed it. The hard part is getting the free parts, if you get the old type stuff then the tank becomes the big issue. Heck there are deals on used performers out there there is one in tha trading post now for 100 and it is only a couple years old 2010or so.

I just did it on Mesa Azul. I turned one of the grills into the gas assist the same as a performer. You need three parts. You need the burner tube, the ignitor and the regulator. You will need a way to cut a hole in the kettle, which I used a step drill and then I opened it up with a Dremel grinding wheel bit. The next you will need to install the ignitor somewhere. I don't have a non gas performer so I can't comment where you could mount it. One way or another it's just a hole to mount the ignitor. You'll need the regulator and the propane tank. I don't know how easy it is to find the old style tank or regulator. You might need to get the new style regulator for the small 1 pound bottles and find a way to mount it.

I've thought about doing this also. Priority has become lower now that I have a weed torch.

Brian - Any pictures?

Brian I remember Shawn had issues filling his old style tank and converted his to the small screw on tank, and I also remeber another guy who showed using the step drill method to add the holes for the flame tube and using SS hardware for the mounting, can a person buy the regulator and hose for the newer style from Weber? Then all you would need to do it use some mild plate steel from a box store some simple bends and mount install your holes for the regulator and igintion button.

Yes, I got mine from Weber. If you look at that link I had in that posting and go to the top of the article, I explain how I did it. You can see how I made the bracket to hold everything out of aluminum "L" brackets.

You can,but to me it kind of takes away from the gas assist.If i"m grilling I just pour a pile of charcoal over the burner and turn it on for about 5 minutes. let them get red and spread.If I'm smoking I make a circle of charcoal and put a pile of about a dozen briqs over the burner for 5 minutes.I then rake them to one end of the circle.Thats just my way...everyone has thier own way,but no matter what you decide ...you will love the gas assist

I added the TNG starter to my Performer. Thread is here: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?236...Restoration-20-CL-score-Now-with-pics!!/page2 It did take many trips to HD to figure out how the burner tube was mounted to the bowl.

I had the tray which usually holds the regulator and ignition switch, even though I had a non-TNG Performer. It was not too hard to drill a few holes for the regulator and find a spot for the ignition. It all works great. When looking for the parts, check the schematics diagram (does anyone have that link?) and make sure you get all the parts - burner tube, ignition switch, hose assembly, regulator assembly, and this small retainer clip which I think is important. The rep forgot to include it, until I reminded her, and then I almost lost the darned thing a couple of times.

Thanks for that Ashish. When I can run across those parts for a good price one day I'll try to get this done. With all the trouble I'm having getting my Performer above 400 on the temperature gauge I'm hoping this will help me get it hot and get the coals lit better. Took me 14 mins to cook my last burger to medium rare. That is ridiculous if you ask me.

Back