Adding charcoal midway through job

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
Hopefully I'm not making a n00b mistake by not thoroughly utilizing the search function before posting this thread...

I've seen some references that occasionally on a real long smoke, one might need to add in a bit more fuel. What's the best way to do this? Just open the door and try to toss some more charcoal into the bottom? Take off the middle section of your WSM, dump in the extra charcoal, then put that section back on?

find yourself a fireplace shovel and use that to put charcoal into the bottom section, or just take a few handfuls and throw it in there. If you're using water in the water pan, lifting the entire center section should/would be a last resort.

lifting the entire center section should/would be a last resort.

That was sort of what I was thinking, thanks for helping to confirm that. Fireplace shovel is a great idea that I hadn't considered, might need to look into something like that this weekend.

Get a pair of thick welding gloves or fireplace/grilling gloves. When you reach into the chamber will make it easier to load the charcoal into a hot smoker. But also use a shovel.

I use a piece of aluminum gutter. The shortest piece I could find was 4'. Works like a charm. You can pour right from the chimney

It is best to try to shove the lit coals to one side and adding some lit to the top of it so that you are not dumping a lot of unlit on the existing. Adding unlit reacts differently than the way th minion burns and will smoke real bad and add some bad favors.

I use a piece of aluminum gutter. The shortest piece I could find was 4'. Works like a charm. You can pour right from the chimney

That's a neat idea.

Don't forget to close the bowl drafts first. It will help to reduce the airborn ash.

Last edited:
Cold charcoal onto a lit fire is going to get that black smoke mentioned above. To prevent this I do the "hot squat" which is not required except on VERY long cooks. Wearing welder's gloves, I close the lower vents and remove the lid, place the food grate onto a couple bricks on the side table with the probes still installed in food and on grate (because I have a slot cut in the center section). I remove the center section (if using water BE CAREFULL not to spill it) and place it on a hot water heater pan. With a shovel, I rake the hot coals to one side or to the center of the charcoal ring, and the unlit to the opposite side or around the lit and kinda rake them next to each other with a few onto the unlit so the lit will engage the unlit ( kinda like minion method). Give it a few minutes for the nasty black smoke to chill out, put the center section back on, check and fill water pan (if using water), put the cooking grate back on, sweep the wires into the slot, put the lid back on, and reset the vents.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional links, Tom!

While out running errands today I picked up some grilling gloves that go up to about my elbows-- figure they're pretty similar to welder's gloves. I didn't get a fireplace shovel, but did grab a small'ish metal garden shovel.

Welcome to the forum and smoking on the WSM. As the links provided show, this question come up often. For me, the right answer is not to add charcoal. I have an 18 inch WSM and with a full charcoal ring, I can get a good 15 hours and more. I've been able to do 4 butts on that smoker without refueling. About the only thing I can think of that might not get done is a large chuck roll. If I did run out, I would find no shame in finishing in the oven after a 15+ hour cook. Basically, fill and pack the ring with charcoal, don't use water and keep your smoker out of the wind, and re-fueling will be a non-issue. Just another perspective. Good luck and happy smoking.

I have to admitt that if needed, I Hot Squat. I tried messing with the coals before and ash came up and covered the food. So now I just unhook the probes from the transmitters,take the middle and top off, reset the fuel, and put is back on. It takes about 10 minutes to dial in the temp and I am good to go. Granted, Jerry is right that for most smokes there is no need to refuel, but if you are doing cooks back to back, then you need to refuel.

Regarding those that might use aluminum gutter - there may be a better alternative. That is aluminum dryer vent material. It comes "unrolled" like an extra wide gutter before you "assemble" it and should be a bit easier to use. Found at any building supply store (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.).

Dale53

What I found to work well for me (for smoking 225ºF - 250ºF range) if I thought I would run out was Add Ten Briqs an Hour. Assuming starting with an empty ash pan, when starting with a full ring and Minion method, after 10 - 12 hours if I thought I would run out, then once an hour I would open the access panel, briefly stir ash and coals down if necessary and add ten unlit briqs an hour until I was certain I would have enough fuel for the cook. Like Minion method you don't notice a taste from adding the unlit.

Back