Accessories for new WSM

Shelley Gentle

My husband got an 18" WSM a couple of months ago, and has been enjoying it thoroughly. It's his first smoker, and he's still figuring a lot out.

What would you say are some good accessories to get? I'm working on my Christmas shopping, and was hoping to get some stuff to go with his new favorite toy.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Shelley!
If husband is gonna cook pork shoulder (aka: butt, Boston butt, pork shoulder, shoulder roast), brisket or anything else that'll take hours, you'll wanna include on that CHRISTMAS list a probe thermometer- (possibly a wireless one) timer.
Check out the resources link of this website for more ideas.
And please remember, buying from Amazon through this TVWBB website helps support this fantastic resource.
Your husband is certainly gonna LOVE his new WSM and you're gonna love everything he cooks on it!
Again, Welcome aboard and please do not hesitate to ask ANY question you may have.
Enjoy your stay
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Shelley,#1 on above suggestion. If he doesn't already have it, a deep freeze. Also Vacuum seal bags and machine. Oh, and lots of meat to experiment with. How about a new spice rack, oh and a coffee grinder to grind his whole fresh spices. If he's into it a chefs hat, apron, insulated gloves, basting brush, injector. Oh my!!!!!! Have fun.

Mark

Shelley, Jim & Mk covered everything the man need's, only thing i can think of is a gd comfortable chair with a adult beverage holder to watch the smoker do it's magic.

Something not mentioned yet is "grilling towels". After ruining all of my wife's good kitchen towels I found these at Lowes. I never light the chimney without one draped over my shoulder. They're great and cheaper than paper towels (over time). After a cook they go in a small laundry bag I keep with my other grilling stuff. When the bag is full the towels go in the wash with some bleach and come out almost as good as new. They will last months before having to buy new ones.

Might make a good stocking stuffer.

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-1...d=1288746592&sr=8-11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Something not mentioned yet is "grilling towels". After ruining all of my wife's good kitchen towels I found these at Lowes. I never light the chimney without one draped over my shoulder. They're great and cheaper than paper towels (over time). After a cook they go in a small laundry bag I keep with my other grilling stuff. When the bag is full the towels go in the wash with some bleach and come out almost as good as new. They will last months before having to buy new ones.

Might make a good stocking stuffer.

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-1...d=1288746592&sr=8-11 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, great idea. My wife has also been a LITTLE upset at finding the kitchen towels outside in my cook shack, uh not so clean. I actually bought a similar set of towels a couple years back and must remember to pull them out of the back of the linen closet.

Mark

To start it has to be a wireless term that has a probe for both the meat and the pit temps. This is what helped me the most in the beginning (and still does). After that there are many things that will help, but it can also depend on what he find that he likes to smoke more often.

Ribs - Rib Rack
Pulled Pork - Bear Claws
Chicken - Beer Can Rack or drum rack
Brisket - Injector

Just my two cents

If his WSM did not come with a built-in lid thermometer, I suggest getting him one of these:

http://www.teltru.com/p-341-ba...-stem-red-zones.aspx

I love mine. It's "old-school", but SIMPLE. Although I plan to get a wireless unit, this one tells me if all is well with a quick glance. The dial is big enough that I can see it from the kitchen window, and the 4-inch probe gives me a pretty decent indication of my working temperature. It's a quality unit, and worth every penny!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have a deep freeze and vacuum sealer. I think I'll get him the Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer, a rib rack, and definitely some of those grilling towels and gloves. I've already lost one oven mitt and a couple kitchen towels, and he keeps stealing my thermometers.

Thanks again!

Shelly, now that you have a list of "essentials", let us know when you want a list of I "GOTTA HAVES"

Not the OP but I would love to hear your list of "gotta haves."
icon_smile.gif

I just got my first WSM and also got my first grill (weber genesis 310) so I am totally new to all this. I ordered my weber chimney last night and would greatly appreciate if you could suggest what gloves would be best for me. (I'm a girl and have tiny hands.)

Hey Bonnie, glad you joined us! Sounds like you got some great tools already. Not sure where your from but if you have a home depot or lowes you can get some welding gloves for handling hot stuff. Also academy sports has hot food gloves to help you with those hot chunks of bbq.

Bonnie, "essentials are things that you need. "Gotta Haves" are things that you tell yourself or your SO that you REALLY want cause they are soooo cute, not really, but they are stuff that you "THINK" you gotta have" like eye candy. I will think about this.

Happy Holiday Smokin'

Mark

If it's for a new 18.5" wsm, I'd suggest finding a Brinkman water smoker (ECB) charcoal pan to replace the OE water pan. You'll be able to heap the charcoal up much higher for long cooks, and if you're not gonna ever use water, I guess the old Weber water pan would be even better if you could find one.

It's not really an accessory, but it's a lot closer to what Weber should've made for a water pan. Of course, they didn't really make a water pan. The old one was tooled to be the Smokey Joe lid, and after so many complaints over the years that it didn't hold enough water, they went with the Smokey Joe bowl, and that's what companies do to save $$.

Anyway, with the ECB charcoal pan in place, I can load an entire Stubbs bag and five good sized wood chunks, so for $5 this can mean the difference between refueling or not toward the end of a long cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Bonnie, "essentials are things that you need. "Gotta Haves" are things that you tell yourself or your SO that you REALLY want cause they are soooo cute, not really, but they are stuff that you "THINK" you gotta have" like eye candy. I will think about this.

Happy Holiday Smokin'

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I do enjoy things that are very cute.
icon_biggrin.gif
(The first toy I got is a fruit grill rack as it is healthy, I had a gift card, and well it is just too cute.
icon_smile.gif
)

Happy Holidays!

Back