About to attempt my first baby backs. Advice?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathaniel Wallace:
Summoning the collective wisdom... If you were to give three or four pointers, what would they be? Thanks much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Keep temps around 250º or higher
2. Do not foil more than 1 hour if you're foiling
3. Check for tenderness to determine 'done' by doing the tear test or poking with a toothpick.
4. Like J. said, "be patient and let the smoker do the work". Sit back and relax!

Nate - Some sage advice I was given when I first started asking for help here on the forum about ribs - If you are smoking say several racks, and you are sure they are done, leave half on the smoker for another 30 minutes to 1 hour. Until you are sure of your smoker, it will amaze you but the last half to come off the smoker will be much better. Good cooking to you - It's always your temp guage thats right, it's your gut feeling - Bob

Here's what I did wrong the first time. I cooked the ribs at the "exact" temperature for what I thought was the correct amount of time and then took them off. They were safe to eat, but they were not at all tender. The lesson I learned was, they are done when they're done. Time and temp are only loose guidelines.

Dont dwell on temps of the wsm. I screwed up many racks trying to keep her under 225*. Besides I was measuring my dome so my actual temp was lower, and they just never got tender at that temp.

Foil is your friend. I don't typically foil ribs but will if I feel the need to speed things along or even up the cooking across the bones.

Back