A Quick Primer on Smoking Cheese

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Since this has been a hot topic lately, and I just happened to be smoking about 14 pounds of the stuff for Christmas presents and general snacking, I thought I'd share my method.

Ambient temperatures were already pretty low, so I just went with an empty water pan topped with a foiled clay saucer. In warmer months, I will use a waterpan full of cold water or even icewater to keep the temperature below 100* F inside the WSM. This is essential, as once you approach 100* the cheese will start to get a sheen of grease on the outside which is an indicator that it's about to melt. This is a very general rule of thumb; harder cheeses tend to have a higher melting point than softer cheeses.

Here are 3 coals lighting in my Ikea mini-starter.

DSC_1318_zps7551a1dd.jpg

The coals go inside this V of firebricks, which not only helps keep the small number of coals contained and going but also insulates heat. I used chips instead of chunks to keep the temperature down and the volume of smoke up, and added a few used but unlit coals to the pile to keep the fire going.

DSC_1321_zps2fb32039.jpg

An army of cheeses in the WSM. I tend to put harder cheeses on top, softer cheeses closer to the waterpan. Since I have so much cheese on the grill this time, I've used a set of charcoal rails to elevate the grate from my kettle and put more cheese on top.

DSC_1319_zps05ba824c.jpg

DSC_1320_zps95e05a6e.jpg

Erin got me an iGrill as an early Christmas present, and this thing was great for keeping me from running out to frantically check temps every few minutes. I set an alarm for 95* but never got close.

68EFF033-3940-4630-A9CB-8802E4F16627-2220-00000232039C5F5E.jpg

Cheese done. Total smoking time was about 2 hours. Pepperjack and cheddar on the bottom, mozzarella on top, and a few other varieties not pictured. Yes, I got some messy bits from my kettle grate on the cheese that was below. It brushes off when everything is cold.

DSC_1323_zps1756f915.jpg

And packed up.

DSC_1324_zps1d2f838f.jpg

In summary:

1. Don't melt the cheese. Keep the temperature as low as possible, preferably well under 100.
  2. Don't eat the cheese for at least one week after smoking or it will taste like the inside of your ashcatcher.

Thanks for looking!

Never done this before, but this is an excellent guide to get me started. Thanks for putting it together. Cheese looks great as well.

Never done this before, but this is an excellent guide to get me started. Thanks for putting it together. Cheese looks great as well.

Ditto what Mike said... This will help me doing my first smoked chesse. Yours look great. :)

Thanks for the information and the excellent photos, Jon! The result looks super.

Last edited:
We love cheese. I'm saving this thread in my recipe folder. Thanks Jon, great pics and education for all of us cheese lovers, thanks!:)

Great post Jon...I meant to do some this past weekend for the holidays but I think I may have missed my window with the cheese!

Great looking snacks!

That is one serious batch of cheese mate! Looks really tasty. Think i need to try this. Is it better to go with a mild cheese? I was thinking a charp cheddar.

Back