A Q-120 w/stand as main grill?

J Lee

I see they people use the 300 series grills as their primary, but what about the 100's? Anyone have one of them as their primary?

I use my Baby Q much more than my other grills. I mostly just cook for the two of us and my Q100 is usually large enough and quite capable for most of my outdoor cooking. It's been my main Que for over 6 years now. Tonite I babycued a deep dish pizza in a 10" cast iron skillet.

Thanks, it's just 2.25 of us right now (but I am under the impression that we will be doing a whole lot of hosting).

Used a Q120 as our camping grill for 6 years so I speak with some experience. Only this year with one of my 2 kids now a teen did I find we've finally outgrown it and I moved to a Q200.

Mom and dad now use a Q120 (on my recommendation :)) as their primary and love it.

My take, 2 - 4 people can live quite nicely on a 100/120, IF you're just doing the basics e.g. burgers for 4, brats for 4, etc....But if you want to do some potatoes or veggies beside the meat you may run out of grill space quick.

I use my Q1200 as my main grill because I'm usually only cooking for me, but there is plenty of room on it to cook for several people. One benefit is that it uses less propane than the larger Q's.

Got my Q120 and cart in the mail yesterday ($100 shipped for the nib combo!).

Pretty impressed with the little guy and I haven't even used it yet. From the made in USA to the "cookbook", to the larger than I imagined cooking surface, I was floored.

The cart does have a case of the shakes just like everyone mentioned, but I can just take the grill off the cart to clean it.

Definitely not big enough to do meat and veggies at the same time.

Have to cook the veggies most of the way, then cook the meat, then finish off the veggies while the meat is resting.

Getting a Genesis E-330 tonight (would get the EP-330, but it'd run me $232 more than the E-300).

I have a Q320 and recently got a Q120 to use as my main grill, the reason being that I usually am only grilling for one or two people. The Q320 works for one or two as well as larger groups, but it can be a bit overpowered when grilling only one or two pieces of salmon or burgers. I'm still keeping the excellent Q320 for when I need a larger grill.

I find the Q grills work better when they are closer to 50% full with food or more. When they are nearly empty, like a Q320 with just two burgers on, they can create more of an oven effect and its easy to overcook the food, and the flavor isn't quite a good. However, with 2.25 people and frequent guests, you may want to consider the Q320 for the flexibility though. The Q120 will work, but you may have to do two shifts on the grill with larger groups.

If you do use a Q120 as your main grill and connect to a 20 lb propane tank, make sure to get a propane filter to prevent the odorant that liquifies in the hose from ruining your regulator. I use the Mr. Heater propane filter which is designed to prevent this same issue on propane heaters.

If you do use a Q120 as your main grill and connect to a 20 lb propane tank, make sure to get a propane filter to prevent the odorant that liquifies in the hose from ruining your regulator.
I've never heard of using a propane filter on any gas grill. Not even Weber has suggested using one.

I've never heard of using a propane filter on any gas grill. Not even Weber has suggested using one.

I'm only suggesting it for the Q1xx and Q2xx series that have the regulator made for the 1 lb tanks up at the control knob. While Weber may not suggest the filter, the high rate of regulator failures people have with those grills when using 20 lb tanks makes it a good idea because the odorant has a tendency to turn back into an oil while in the hose.

Normal gas grill regulators are right at the tank so they can't even use the bulk propane filters, and have no need for them.

Last edited:

Back