A Not as Planned But Successful Cook

Larry Powers

TVWBB Member
I decided to try my first butt for the fourth. And since I was only cooking one butt I decided to try it on my new BGE since it uses less coal per cook. I was fired up and cooking by 9:00PM shooting for lunch at 3:00PM the next day.

At 10:00 the temp was 240. I woke up at 1:30AM and checked, the temp was 260 and the meat was at 142. I made what I thought was a minor adjustment to the BGE to be sure the temperature did not continue up. I woke at 6:30 to find the BGE at 152 and the meat at 132. There must be a big temp difference between thermometer in the lid and the grate.

I got the temp back up and stable but it was obvious that I was not going to have the butt done by 3:00PM. At 8:00 I was at the local warehouse store and bought a twin pack of spare ribs. By 10:30 I had the WSM fired up with the butt on the bottom rack along with the ends and two hardly trimmed slabs of spares on the top.

At 11:00 we took advantage of the hot BGE and threw in a dutch oven full of my wife's excellent home made baked beans.

At 2:45 the ribs were done to perfection at at 3:00 the beans were done and lunch came off with out a hitch.

As we sat down to eat we threw a black raspberry pie into the BGE. It was done 20 minutes later and ended a perfect lunch.

The butt was done around 5:30 and will make good lunches for the rest of the week.

All and all an excellent days with my smokers.

This is the way it goes early on. The morel of the story is that things related to BBQ usually turn out pretty good so don't sweat the small stuff like a temp drop or spike. Just keep going and in the end you'll be eating some pretty good food. If not, then you really screwed up and you learned a lesson. Either way a win.

Good cook!

I broke my cardinal rule, never cook a recipe for the first time when you are having guests for dinner. And of course I tried it on a new tool.

The pulled pork turned out excellent. When it was done I wrapped it in foil and threw it in a 12 pack cooler while we cleaned up. About an hour later I opened that cooler and the aroma that came out was unbelievable. I pulled the pork let it cool and put in in the fridge. We have been eating good all week without having to cook after work.

Back