A new player in the kettle game...

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I just came across this while on break at work. I won't have time to watch it now but I'm very curious what this is all about.

S&S Kettle. Sounds like a shot across the Weber bow.

From what I have seen, it seems maybe some Weber patents have ran out????. Some of that looks very close to what Weber has done. Or they design is altered just enough to not infringed somehow. I'm really not sure how that works when it comes to this.

Think I heard these are made in China. Also, I don't think they come with a slow n sear attachment, but still command a high sale price. Not to mention I doubt their customer service/warranty will be anywhere close to Weber.

I do like Weber getting a little competition though.

Whoa...a *5* blade ash sweep and a swooshy-looking lid vent to boot?!?!? Be still my heart!!

Lame as heck. I'll stick to Craigslist for Weber acquisitions and have one of the sons-in-law do some bowl welding/brazing when one of the 3-wheelers needs a little rejuvenation.

Get off my lawn.

Last edited:
I watched BBM's vid. He's had a working relationship with SNS for some time, but I gotta think the SmokeFire experience has soured him a bit on Weber.

That said, this SNS Kettle is not something I would buy, but they've got some good ideas. I really like the air intake port , that eliminates having to use the ash sweeper blades to regulate air flow. And the port could be used for an ATC.

The ash catcher looks to be much much easier to take off and put on. I hate that job on my 99 Kettle because its a dman battle to deal with .

I'm not sure about the four legs. At one point in the vid, when BBM is talking about that side table, the Kettle was visibly rocking. Any small uneven area on a patio would make getting it level a chore. We have that problem with a small bistro table, cept our table legs are adjustable. The SNS Kettle was not. I'll stick with three legs.

I like the temp gauge on the same side as the vent and a lower location. I put a Tel Tru on my Kettle years ago in almost the same location, cept even closer to the grate.

But I wish SNS luck, even with small improvements and a stainless steel cooking grate, its gonna be hard to compete with Weber at a much higher price point.

looks to me like they basically copied the Weber and sale price is the same. I think I’ll stick with Weber.

I finally saw the entire review. For the closet comparison I could come up with.

Weber performer $280
S&S. $280

S&S advantage is better cooking grate. Side vent for temp control or ATC. Lid gasket. Probe port. Thermometer placement.

As for warranty, the S&S seems to copy the Weber's warranty.

So, it's nothing revolutionary in the cattle market. But I'm not sure how much you could actually do to the design to improve it in the first place and it seems they found a couple of ways.

S&S

Weber

And for the heck of it since it's playing in the price range

Napoleon charcoal

Looks to have a few good ideas, and a few should be good ideas, like the sweeps to allow more air flow to heat up faster, but to short to really clean the kettle, I like the ash can handle if I am going with 4 legs why not put 4 wheels.
Let's see how long it lasts in the industry and who is selling them.

I finally saw the entire review. For the closet comparison I could come up with.

Weber performer $280
S&S. $280

S&S advantage is better cooking grate. Side vent for temp control or ATC. Lid gasket. Probe port. Thermometer placement.

As for warranty, the S&S seems to copy the Weber's warranty.

So, it's nothing revolutionary in the cattle market. But I'm not sure how much you could actually do to the design to improve it in the first place and it seems they found a couple of ways.

S&S

Weber

And for the heck of it since it's playing in the price range

Napoleon charcoal

I actually am more attracted to that Napoleon. Kind of a "poor man's Summit charcoal." Not quite, but it has some class.

I actually am more attracted to that Napoleon. Kind of a "poor man's Summit charcoal." Not quite, but it has some class.

So this on a performer cart then. :unsure:

Hmmm, never really looked at the Napoleon before. Looks like the ash bucket handle is how you adjust air flow / heat? Interesting....

Still will take my Webers

nothing. Ever. will beat the Weber 26" kettle (in my humble, yet somewhat educated opinion).
The napoleon grill makers are boosting their name like gucci shoes and handbags. GMAFB. name dropping means **** when its time to grill.

so... to recap,
nothing. Ever. will beat the Weber 26" kettle.

I just don't see this as something this will catch on. It does have some interesting features but for $219 you can buy a Weber 22" Master-Touch. Or for the same price the performer with the smaller side table.

Jim the only thing better than a 26 kettle is a 26 Performer.
That is for those of us with out a pavilion to cook in..

nothing. Ever. will beat the Weber 26" kettle (in my humble, yet somewhat educated opinion).
The napoleon grill makers are boosting their name like gucci shoes and handbags. GMAFB. name dropping means **** when its time to grill.

so... to recap,
I didn’t understand this for a while, but a few weeks ago bought a used 26” and I get it now. It’s amazing.

so... to recap,

I like it but, I have yet to score my 26” then, I will build an “Olympian”! 26” on one end, 18” WSM on the other and maybe an “Upper Deck” with a “Go Anywhere” and Smokey Joe, up top? Needs some cocktail napkin design work!
I am glad I don’t have any “disposable” income or a welder (regardless of lack of skill) because I’d be making some seriously nut job stuff!

Back